Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Next of Kin" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 26

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Next of Kin (1982)

Selected by J. Farley

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Next of Kin" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 26

I really enjoyed Next of Kin.

The Youtube audio seems to drop out from 0:01:20 to 0:02:50, mostly during the introductory credits, so while initially jarring you don't seem to miss much - plus the picture quality is surprisingly good for a 1982 film without wide availability; which is especially important because Next of Kin is such a picturesque film.

Next of Kin is a nice slow burn effective at creating a creepy subtle menacing vibe that pays off; it's surprising because there's no early "hook" so the sense of 'where is this going' lends nicely to the mystery.

The nursing home setting is humorous and to it's credit Next Of Kin handles the comedy with such subtly that adds a fever dream feel to events making you question the nature of the drownings or the strangely stoic kid at the diner. Some elements seem well crafted at diverting attention in a surreal way, I love how the female is methodically but slowly stacking sugar cubes at the end between chase segments before the van crashes through the way making the cubes tumble.

Most misleading video case ever [there's not one sugar cube on it]:

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-16-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next of Kin and The Sender are doomed to remain the best overlooked horror movies of 1982. I've been a fan of Next of Kin since VHS days, it's stylish and creepy as hell. I bought the German DVD several years ago, great picture quality but sadly a burned in repeating subtitle (or message) when watching the English audio version.
Anyway, highly recommended.
Old 10-26-15, 02:59 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have to agree with the other two comments, this is a very good movie. I'm not sure that I recognize any of the actors or director which is surprising but the movie was well done. I found it to be surprisingly suspenseful at times.
Old 10-26-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

I will be the dissenter and state that I found this movie to be dreadfully dull. I understand slow burn but nothing really happens in this movie until the last quarter. The main character reminded me of those ghost hunters who scare themselves for most of the movie.
Old 10-26-15, 03:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I could see myself hating it on certain days, if I wasn't in the mindset for a slow burn. But today, I loved it.
Old 10-26-15, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember first renting this from, of all places, H.E.B. back when they had a video section. More of a sporadically developing mood piece than an outright slasher, and all the better for it if you ask me. It almost feels like a stylish variation on the haunted house sub-genre for much of it's duration. It's effectively creepy at times, one of my favorite instances involving someone watching the heroine just out of her eye range as she roams the woods. I'm a big fan of Australian horror, and I think this ranks right up there with Long Weekend as the best they have to offer.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I'm not sure that I recognize any of the actors or director which is surprising but the movie was well done.
If you've seen Wolf Creek, the boyfriend is played by the killer from that movie, John Jarratt. He's also in another of my favorite Aussie flicks, Dark Age.
Old 10-26-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah, I agree that the first half is slow, but I dug this. Great energy during the climax and there were a few creepy shots in the early going (That poor old dead guy freaked me out a bit)
Old 10-27-15, 12:02 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I guess that I liked it well enough, but it's not something that I think that I'll ever watch again. I appreciated what seemed to be a nod to Argento's Tenebrae, with the roaming camera and the pulsing synth music. I also liked its little dips into arty territory, like the sugar cube tower-building and the focus on the ballroom dance competition on the TV. I also have to admit that I didn't see the twist coming at all; but then again, as far as twists go, that one was fairly random.

Here's the cover that I remember the VHS having:

Old 10-27-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

This one didn't quite click with me, but I don't think I was in the right mood for it. I might need to revisit during a future challenge.
Old 10-27-15, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I will be the dissenter and state that I found this movie to be dreadfully dull. I understand slow burn but nothing really happens in this movie until the last quarter. The main character reminded me of those ghost hunters who scare themselves for most of the movie.
Originally Posted by clckworang
This one didn't quite click with me, but I don't think I was in the right mood for it. I might need to revisit during a future challenge.
I did not hate it but somewhat have similar feelings about this movie. I too found it to be a bit dull and found myself watching it but not really getting into it. I had a busy day today and this was the first thing I watched after things got settled down, so that could be part of the reason for my opinion.
Old 10-27-15, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Farley
If you've seen Wolf Creek, the boyfriend is played by the killer from that movie, John Jarratt. He's also in another of my favorite Aussie flicks, Dark Age.
Holy shit! I knew I had seen the guy's face before but didn't make that connection. I love Wolf Creek. That reminds me, I need to see WC2 before this month is over.
Old 10-27-15, 01:58 PM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

The ending lost me....

Her aunt was alive, pretending to be the new patient and she and her son(?) were killing people? Was that it? For a few minutes I thought the hammer-wielding chap was either previously unknown or her boyfriend... but then it seemed not. Maybe I was distracted, but it felt like the long build-up was not building up to what then took place.

At least she had the sense and ability to escape!