Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Abbott & Costello ~ Frankenstein" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 25

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Abbott & Costello ~ Frankenstein" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 25

Old 09-23-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Selected by Darth Maher

IMDB ENTRY

ON DAILYMOTION

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: "Abbott & Costello ~ Frankenstein" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Da

Loved it, especially after that awful Bowery Boys thing a few challenges back.
Old 10-25-15, 04:06 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: "Abbott & Costello ~ Frankenstein" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Da

This movie is always outstanding. You can't miss with the combination of Abbott & Costello and the three classic monsters. It's hard to believe this was the last movie for the classic monster versions. I think they still had life in them.
Old 10-25-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

I love this movie so much. Every time that I watch it, I find some new bit of business to chuckle over. This time, I found Lou's matter-of-fact statement when he's getting ready to deliver the crates containing the monsters to McDougal's House of Horrors especially funny: "I'm not gonna like this."
Old 10-25-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 899 Likes on 557 Posts

Here goes the blasphemy. I am not a fan of Abbott and Costello at all. I love Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Bros., The Three Stooges, and I do appreciate "aged" humor. But damn Costello gets on my nerves. He acts like Stan Laurel and Curly Joe had a bastard child and raised him with Shemp and Spanky just to fuck with everyone. He apes everyone before him and does it poorly (at least in the all movies I have seen of theirs). As you can tell, I am not a Lou Costello fan. Annoying fucker is he.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, I did enjoy this film a little. I watched it a few years ago and hated it but feel I can appreciate it more now. This time I watched it with my 11 year old. It isn't a laugh riot but he got a kick out of it and enjoyed the movie which made me like it more. It's still weak as hell but I can see why people like it, especially if they grew up watching these movies.

I do remember listening to the commentary several years ago and was very impressed with it. A ton of info on everything with the movie. I also recommend the short 30 min documentary on the dvd. Very informative and interesting. They showed a few bloopers and I would have loved to have seen more of them. They were funnier than the movie.
Old 10-25-15, 10:37 PM

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Here goes the blasphemy. I am not a fan of Abbott and Costello at all. I love Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Bros., The Three Stooges, and I do appreciate "aged" humor. But damn Costello gets on my nerves. He acts like Stan Laurel and Curly Joe had a bastard child and raised him with Shemp and Spanky just to fuck with everyone. He apes everyone before him and does it poorly (at least in the all movies I have seen of theirs). As you can tell, I am not a Lou Costello fan. Annoying fucker is he.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, I did enjoy this film a little. I watched it a few years ago and hated it but feel I can appreciate it more now. This time I watched it with my 11 year old. It isn't a laugh riot but he got a kick out of it and enjoyed the movie which made me like it more. It's still weak as hell but I can see why people like it, especially if they grew up watching these movies.

I do remember listening to the commentary several years ago and was very impressed with it. A ton of info on everything with the movie. I also recommend the short 30 min documentary on the dvd. Very informative and interesting. They showed a few bloopers and I would have loved to have seen more of them. They were funnier than the movie.
Blasphemer! Get him, he is a blasphemer!--John Travolta, The Devil's Rain

Spider, I have a theory that I've espoused here before: either you're a Marx Brothers fan, or you're an Abbott and Costello fan. (It's a corollary to the "you're either an Elvis fan or a Beatles fan" rule.) You can like both to a certain degree, but when push comes to shove and you have to pick one team or the other, it's an easy choice for you. For me, I'm an Abbott and Costello fan. I've discovered that it really doesn't have anything to do with whose movies one sees first; I saw Marx Brothers movies probably ten years before I saw an Abbott and Costello movie. It just boils down to whom one finds funnier, and I find Bud and Lou funnier.

For me, the film is FULL of funny moments and off-the-cuff remarks, and, like I said, I find new things to laugh at every time I watch it. I also appreciate the fact that the monsters play it straight AND they get to keep their dignity.

Off the subject, but still kind of on it, I noticed today for the first time that, when Frankenstein's monster starts undoing his straps on the gurney in the castle laboratory, one of his neck bolts pulls away from his neck for a moment. I'm surprised that they left that in there.
Old 10-26-15, 03:08 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Abbott and Costello does some things right - the straight monsters and tying in zany antics is brilliantly balanced. I agree that Costello is too intentionally annoying; Lon Chaney Jr really out acts him in the shared scenes. I'm not much of a slapstick fan but this does enough right that it seems to have a little something for everyone. Immediately following this I watched Tucker & Dale Vs Evil (another subset pick) and the comparisons are striking.

The Invisible Man ending was cute. It's too bad more of the Abbott and Costello monster movies aren't available in high definition.
Old 10-26-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

I am going to try to watch this tonight. I am hoping at least one of my kids gets a kick out of it, but I understand if they don't. I didn't really "get" old movies when I was their age either (horror or comedies alike).
Old 10-26-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The Invisible Man ending was cute. It's too bad more of the Abbott and Costello monster movies aren't available in high definition.
And were my ears correct in hearing the surviving Invisible Man's - Vincent Price - voice..?
Old 10-26-15, 06:29 PM

I notice that Dracula cast a reflection in this film... when he leans over to bite the Doctor, he's very clearly seen in the mirror..!
Old 10-26-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 899 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
And were my ears correct in hearing the surviving Invisible Man's - Vincent Price - voice..?
Definitely!
Old 10-26-15, 09:45 PM

Here goes the blasphemy. I am not a fan of Abbott and Costello at all. I love Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Bros., The Three Stooges, and I do appreciate "aged" humor. But damn Costello gets on my nerves.
A few years ago, I would have agreed with all that, and still tend to think A&C are considerably inferior to many other comedy duos/teams... but this year, Mr Costello was far funnier and much more enjoyable. Indeed, I think the film could have lost Abbott without suffering in the slightest....
Old 10-26-15, 09:46 PM

Definitely!
Good! I suppose it couldn't have been anyone else, really! I wondered instantly whether Mr Rains was busy/disinrerested, but then realised that VP's invisible man survived; Rains' did not. So that's a nice little continuity moment, even if VP seemed unmentioned in Invisible Agent...
Old 10-27-15, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

Count me as another who is not a fan of Abbott & Costello. I love classic comedy, and I've watched a few of their movies. Their shtick doesn't tend to connect with me; however, I actually enjoyed this movie. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the juxtaposition of the Universal monsters. I might pick up the Blu-ray for future challenges.
Old 10-27-15, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can count me as another one who enjoyed this movie.
Old 10-27-15, 07:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 637 Likes on 425 Posts

I'm not a big A&C fan, but I can't help but love this film. Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, and the Werewolf all together! And that sweet cameo at the end is just icing on the cake.

The film historian commentary is excellent too.
Old 10-27-15, 09:26 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

This is the first Abbott & Costello movie I've seen and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm making my way through a few of them on the Universal Horror list and they're a lot of fun, a great mix of adventure and comedy.
Old 10-27-15, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not a big A&C fan, but I can't help but love this film. Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, and the Werewolf all together! And that sweet cameo at the end is just icing on the cake.

The film historian commentary is excellent too.
Did they comment on why it's called "meet Frankenstein"..?

Technically, they don't meet Frankenstein, they meet the monster. Overall, since they meet three (four), it would make sense if it were called A&C meet the Monsters. Or, surely, Dracula is a better known name, so why not ..meet Dracula? Even, since they spend much of the film with Chaney, why not ..meet the Wolf Man, which also echoes back to Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man.
Old 10-27-15, 06:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 637 Likes on 425 Posts

I imagine it was a money thing, and the Frankenstein name was deemed to be the biggest draw at that time.