Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"What We Do in the Shadows" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 20

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

Selected by Darkgod

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: "What We Do in the Shadows" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 20

I watched this last night and found it to be quite enjoyable. I wasn't really looking forward to it as I remembered the seeing the trailers back during its theatrical run and thought it looked awful.

I was pleasantly surprised though. It's not a laugh a minute movie kind of movie and some of the jokes fall flat but most hit the mark. It does have some brains and handles the many day to day tasks of being a vampire quite well. You will find yourself sitting there wondering, why didn't I ever think of that. I found myself grinning during the whole movie which is a good thing. And don't get me wrong, there are several laugh out loud moments.
Spoiler:
"I don't think you should eat that." Profuse vomiting ensues.

Requires a little bit of dry humor to fully enjoy. I am glad it was on the list otherwise I may never have checked it out.
Old 10-09-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: "What We Do in the Shadows" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 20

I got this on my (DVD) Netflix queue. It says it's currently available, but I've got a BIG feeling it'll eventually end up on either short or very long wait soon. Might have to rent and watch this before it's subset date arrives. Props to alyxstarr's link, of course, but I want to check out the disc for the extras.
Old 10-09-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I got this on my (DVD) Netflix queue. It says it's currently available, but I've got a BIG feeling it'll eventually end up on either short or very long wait soon. Might have to rent and watch this before it's subset date arrives. Props to alyxstarr's link, of course, but I want to check out the disc for the extras.
There are a good bit of extras on the BD that came from Netflix to me. The most interesting is the short film (about an hour long if I remember correctly) that the movie was based on that was made 10 years ago. I just skimmed through it and the other extras but it was amazing how much stuff the movie had that was taken straight from the short.

And you can always check Redbox for the BD or DVD if you can't get it from Netflix. I believe it is still renting there.
Old 10-20-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I love this movie, a note-perfect comic riff on vampire lore in a fake documentary. If you like Flight of the Conchords, you'll love this. The heart of the film is Taika Waititi as the sweet, naive vampire Viago.
Old 10-20-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having trouble getting the alyxstarr link to work. Anyone else?
Old 10-20-15, 12:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm having trouble getting the alyxstarr link to work. Anyone else?
Looks like the copyright police got it.

Redbox has it, heading out shortly.
Old 10-20-15, 02:24 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority here, I found this movie to just be there. That's ok, not everything can be good to me, glad that others enjoyed it.
Old 10-20-15, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac
I guess I'm in the minority here, I found this movie to just be there. That's ok, not everything can be good to me, glad that others enjoyed it.
Well, you're just the third person to comment on it so far. So if I don't like (got the disc from Redbox just now and it's next up), you won't be in the minority!
Old 10-20-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see the movie as one that might get quoted a lot in the future and could catch a cult-type status. Just because it is a little odd and quirky.
Old 10-20-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For anyone who wants to stream today's subset film:

What We Do in the Shadows

I also recommend checking out Nocturna, about a pair of cops caught up in a conflict between two groups of vampires in New Orleans.
Old 10-20-15, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
For anyone who wants to stream today's subset film:

What We Do in the Shadows

I also recommend checking out Nocturna, about a pair of cops caught up in a conflict between two groups of vampires in New Orleans.
That site looks a little shady and requires at least a log-in.
Old 10-20-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
That site looks a little shady and requires at least a log-in.
No log-in is required, and as long as you have a pop-up blocker installed in your browser, you should be fine.
Old 10-20-15, 08:50 PM

I'm paused about half way thru and I'm undecided. The first 30 minutes or so sucked, no pun intended. But now it's perked up and the humor has been darn good in spots; still a bit hit and miss. I'm hopeful that it finishes strong.
Old 10-20-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Much more fun and loose than the similar Vampires (2010). Unlike that film, this one managed to be way more memorable for me. What I seemed to love the most was all the quick montage-shots throughout the centuries. Very nicely detailed.
Old 10-20-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I expected. I'm not exactly sure WHAT I was expecting, but I certainly wasn't expecting anything this low-key. I thought that it was a surprisingly good-natured film that adhered to the vampire mythos without trying to convince the audience that the legends about vampires were all wrong. The more I think about the film, the more I like it...and I appreciate the fact that the filmmakers had the good sense to wrap things up before the film got long-winded.
Old 10-21-15, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Poster. Movie was fun and easy to watch. The humor was mostly solid but a little hit and miss. All in all I will put this one up there with Dracula: Dead and Loving It (which was my favorite vampire horror comedy before I saw this one) I won't say one is the better than the other though because they are too different to compare.
Old 10-21-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Third time watching this one and I really do love it.

Spoiler:
'Petyr is 8,000 years old, he's not coming to the meeting.'
Old 10-21-15, 01:06 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Hilarious. I do enjoy mockumentaries, and this was exactly the right blend of the ridiculous and documentarian earnestness. As soon as the crew got crucifixes, I hoped it would maintain the high standards of absurdity, and it definitely did.

Has there been an antipodean horror resurgence..? Or is it blind coincidence that there've been three subset picks from down under..?
Old 10-21-15, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I see the movie as one that might get quoted a lot in the future and could catch a cult-type status. Just because it is a little odd and quirky.
Easily. If it weren't for the post-credits scene, I'd be quoting it endlessly already...
Old 10-21-15, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Third time watching this one and I really do love it.

Spoiler:
'Petyr is 8,000 years old, he's not coming to the meeting.'
I forgot to take notes, but one of my favourites was the list of grievances: "...that should probably have been number one.."

The introduction of google was priceless, though.
Spoiler:
"You can find anything."
"Great! I lost a really nice silk scarf in 1912.."

My Dad taught basic computer skills to the computer illiterate. He had to help several people with mouse movement because when he said "move it up (the screen)" they lifted the mouse off the desk...

Last edited by ntnon; 10-21-15 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typoi
Old 10-21-15, 01:38 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Has there been an antipodean horror resurgence..? Or is it blind coincidence that there've been three subset picks from down under..?
There are another two still to come this month, Next of Kin and Black Sheep. The fact that we'll have had five has to be more than coincidental.
Old 10-21-15, 03:29 PM

Easily. If it weren't for the post-credits scene, I'd be quoting it endlessly already...
That was a nice one, but something was missing. I'm not trying to knock it, it was a hilarious scene, but it felt like it could have had another line or two.
I forget ti take notes, but one of my favourites was the list of grievances: "...that should probably have been number one.."

The introduction of google was priceless, though.
Those scenes helped move it firmly into the win column for me.
Has there been an antipodean horror resurgence..?
Thanks for making me use google today.
Originally Posted by rbrown498
There are another two still to come this month, Next of Kin and Black Sheep. The fact that we'll have had five has to be more than coincidental.
Down under supernatural forces influencing our choices?
Old 10-22-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

We're werewolves not swear-wolves.
Old 10-23-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I watched this on my iPad while flying home from New York and really liked it. It's like Spinal Tap with vampires.

I'd highly recommend it, and I have.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (09-29-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.