DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/628736-girl-walks-home-alone-night-reviews-discussion-2015-horror-challenge-day-16-a.html)

Chad 09-22-15 10:48 PM

"A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 16

<BR>
<table border="25"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0.jpg~original

Selected by jacob_b

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

ON NETFLIX INSTANT

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

<table border="25"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y
<td bgcolor=#008080>

<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...kSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...c.jpg~original
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...o.jpg~original
</tr></td></table>

<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

</tr></td></table>

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS
<BR>

ntnon 10-16-15 07:55 AM

Re: "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Da

I like the hijab-as-cloak imagery. :)

orlmac 10-16-15 03:22 PM

Re: "A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Da

What a strange movie. It was slow and moody and sometimes confusing but ultimately satisfying. It is the first movie I have ever watched in Persian but it did help create the illusion of the setting, along with the fact that it was in black and white. I personally liked the ending, it fit the movie perfectly.

indiephantom 10-16-15 03:58 PM

Beautiful looking movie and probably had more interesting black & white photography than last year's Oscar nominee Ida. Not quite enough horror for me and too cutesy and pretentious at times. I loved the cat, although it did not seem to want to be in the movie at all.

3onameathook 10-16-15 07:54 PM

the first thing I thought with the opening scene was about James Dean ....a young hood with t-shirt and jeans and the old guy reminded me of George C. Scott whether that was the intent of the director is beyond me. Definitely a strange movie with a director that can use black and white film very effectively in relating the mood of the film, but I will need to revisit this one soon, and see if I can catch something I have missed.

Trevor 10-17-15 12:52 AM

Beautiful film. I think this is the first one I've seen this month where it wants me want to buy the BD.

rbrown498 10-17-15 12:52 AM

I enjoyed A Girl Walks Home Alone in the Dark quite a bit, mostly for the composition of its shots (but also for the cat). I really liked the music in the film as well. I think that once Amirpour outgrows her juvenile fascination with drugs, she'll make a completely compelling film. As it stands, she's still got some maturing to do as an artist.

Chad 10-17-15 04:25 PM

Wow. What a mesmerizing, strange, and surreal film; totally caught me off guard. Count me as an official member of the Masuka fan club.

And I had some contact issues, but there was a pit of bodies full of her victims, right?

ntnon 10-19-15 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by indiephantom (Post 12619567)
Beautiful looking movie and probably had more interesting black & white photography than last year's Oscar nominee Ida. Not quite enough horror for me and too cutesy and pretentious at times.

That seems like a fair summary - the look of it was amazing, and most of the (fairly thin) story was pretty good, but there was definitely a feeling that because it wasn't in English it needed a level of artsiness that... it didn't really need. It would have been as good - or better - without it.

Undeadcow 10-20-15 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by orlmac (Post 12619529)
...It was slow and moody and sometimes confusing but ultimately satisfying...

This exactly. Count me in the A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night fanclub; it's nicely aimless and unexpectedly musical. If you enjoyed GWHA@N then Only Lovers Left Alive (by Jarmusch) is a similarly toned vampire movie worth seeing.

The lead piercing the vampire's ears (reverse blood letting) was a little pretentious as was using the father's heroin addiction as a parallel to the vampire (again with the needles); it's got some smart ideas but cutesy is a good term because it never seems to get more than pulpy.

The modern setting and black/white color seemed to again compare modern and older methods (like with the Dracula costume flirting with an actual vampire or needles versus fangs... and that car) and that helps give an awkward irony that is subtle and cute.

I lived the slow sense of longing through much of the film.

Originally Posted by ntnon (Post 12619112)
I like the hijab-as-cloak imagery. :)

Agreed... but I've never seen a hijab like that.

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 12620185)
...And I had some contact issues, but there was a pit of bodies full of her victims, right?

That bit was weird and didn't make sense... but it was a nicely surreal image.

ntnon 10-21-15 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 12622865)
The lead piercing the vampire's ears (reverse blood letting) was a little pretentious as was using the father's heroin addiction as a parallel to the vampire (again with the needles); it's got some smart ideas but cutesy is a good term because it never seems to get more than pulpy.

The modern setting and black/white color seemed to again compare modern and older methods (like with the Dracula costume flirting with an actual vampire or needles versus fangs... and that car) and that helps give an awkward irony that is subtle and cute.

The one sort of artsy shot that I actually thought was excellent was the facial expression/slight body movement acting when the boy-dressed-as-vampire was standing menacingly behind his 'helpless' female 'victim', when obviously the reverse was true. It was a smart picture.

Why So Blu? 10-21-15 01:40 PM

Fantastic film and one of my favorites of 2014. I have the vinyl score and it's also fantastic. Her new film starring Keanu Reeves should hit theaters soon.

Spiderbite 10-21-15 04:40 PM

Beautifully shot film with a dull as dishwater story.

jacob_b 10-29-15 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by indiephantom (Post 12619567)
Beautiful looking movie and probably had more interesting black & white photography than last year's Oscar nominee Ida. Not quite enough horror for me and too cutesy and pretentious at times. I loved the cat, although it did not seem to want to be in the movie at all.

I agree, except for the pretentious part. Cat was awesome. Visually, amazing. Nice soundtrack and good acting, but it just leaves you kind of empty at the end. Like what did I watch and did I enjoy it? Some of the characters I hated, which watching them die, was nice to see. But the living ones, didn't have much of a feeling with. Something is just missing from this to be a masterpiece or classic.

RaggleFraggle 10-31-15 05:56 AM

Saw this film during its festival run. Was a nice surprise!

Phenomenal cinematography, decent story, and that music! Loved the music. I quite enjoyed the tone it presented as well, a very different Vampire film.