Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Horror Express" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 10

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Horror Express (1972)

Selected by SterlingBen

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: "Horror Express" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 10

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oJ1nVV4G64I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-28-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts

A decent Blu-ray version of this film exists.
Old 10-03-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I enjoyed Horror Express more than I expected, I think it's public domain status mis-lead me.

The monster is nicely gruesome with great bleeding eye imagery, although visual memory stored in eye fluid seems too odd. It's hard to imagine the early form lumbering ape monster prowling through a train undetected. The red eyes are nicely cheesy and it's unintentionally silly how the investigators just start cutting the heads off all the early victims to look at their brains.

That priest is really creepy and even seems to stand out above the surprisingly subdued Lee and Crushing in some scenes... but I still can't figure out how he decides to just follow the monster.

Based on the same source material as The Thing; I think the train set up makes for a better plot device even if snow is more atmospheric.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-03-15 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts

The movie is definitely of its time. It has a very strange bunch of characters. Cushing is pretty good in this one from what I remember.
Old 10-10-15, 12:59 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

I checked this out on all the streaming sites.

Don't watch it at either Amazon Prime or Hulu. Amazon Prime has a pan-n-scan transfer that's too bright. Hulu has the worst version. It looks like someone videotaped a TV that was watching the Amazon Prime version.

Fandor has a decent copy. But it's 1.85:1 (OAR is 1.66:1) and lacks some sharpness.

In my opinion, Shudder has the best version. It's OAR, the colors are nice and the picture is sharp. It might be 720p, but I'm not sure.

If you're not a member of Shudder, you should sign-up. They have a 2 week free trial.
Old 10-10-15, 01:44 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know how I went 43 years without trying this movie. I'm very glad it was one of the subsets this time, you can't go wrong with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing and Telly Savalas was typically Telly. This has my favorite quote of the month so far: "Monsters? We're British you know." It really helped that Alyxstarr helped find an extremely (for this movie) good quality version of it.
Old 10-10-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
When Cushing arrived in Madrid to begin work on the picture, however, he was still distraught over the recent death of his wife, and announced to Gordon that he could not do the film. With Gordon desperate over the idea of losing one of his important stars, Lee stepped in and put Cushing at ease simply by talking to his old friend about some of their previous work together. Cushing changed his mind and stayed on.[4]
Now that would have been a conversation to hear.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-10-15 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-10-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

What a fun film! I'm a huge fan of trains, Peter Cushing, and Christopher Lee, so this was delightful. The monster makeup was appropriately grotesque, and they did a good job concealing him in the shadows. The bloody eye effects were very creepy, especially since my own eyelids have been bleeding the last couple of days.

I was a bit disappointed that Cushing's colleague died relatively early. When she was introduced at the train station, I knew she was monster fodder, but I hoped her outlandish helmet of hair and smart ties would be with us for longer.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
That priest is really creepy and even seems to stand out above the surprisingly subdued Lee and Crushing in some scenes... but I still can't figure out how he decides to just follow the monster.
That confused me as well, especially after the monster talks about how the monk really wanted to go to heaven. Perhaps, he wanted to get revenge on the aristocrat, but that doesn't explain why he seemed to be held in thrall by the monster.
Old 10-10-15, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the Rasputin type monk. I have yet to find a film that I hate that stars either Lee or Cushing. Music in the film was quite haunting as well.
Old 10-11-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
Loved the Rasputin type monk. I have yet to find a film that I hate that stars either Lee or Cushing. Music in the film was quite haunting as well.
I'm pretty fond of the music as well. The composer, John Cacavas, also did the scores for a couple of the Airport sequels and The Satanic Rites of Dracula. His main gig before composing for films seems to have been composing and arranging for high school and college bands; I remember seeing his name on a lot of the music that we played in band in the late '70s. From his website:
Cacavas has been a leading figure in the American school music field for many years. His published educational works total over two thousand in the areas of symphonic band, orchestra, chorus and chamber works. Many of these are published abroad where they receive extensive performances. In recognition of his musical expertise, he has been invited to guest lecture and conduct seminars around the country, appearing at UCLA, USC, Northwestern University, San Diego State and many other venues.
Old 10-11-15, 08:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 649 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A decent Blu-ray version of this film exists.
Cool, which one? One release I saw seemed to get bad reviews on Amazon.
I enjoyed Horror Express more than I expected, I think it's public domain status mis-lead me.

Based on the same source material as The Thing; I think the train set up makes for a better plot device even if snow is more atmospheric.
Yeah, seems strange that a film this recent went public domain.

And really?! That sounds like some awesome source material. Off to find it.....
Old 10-12-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

The monster is nicely gruesome with great bleeding eye imagery, although visual memory stored in eye fluid seems too odd.
I agree - although watching it close to the Lugosi/Karloff Invisible Ray with it's brief photo-capture of the killer's face on the retina made it seem oddly more plausible here..!

Reminded me a lot of Rasputin, but it did seem odd that he apparently flipped from holiness to devil-worship in a second.

I wondered if it was - thanks for that! So that's at least five:

Thing from Outer Space
Horror Express
The Thing
X-Files episode
The Thing
Old 10-12-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
This has my favorite quote of the month so far: "Monsters? We're British you know."
The only thing better than that line was the aghast delivery...

..and only slightly lesser was the implied "..fair point" response (as seen from the characters' point of view).
Old 10-08-23, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 918 Likes on 564 Posts

I rewatched this today and it may be the best movie I have watched for this year's challenge so far. So much fun with snappy dialogue, a fascinating and unpredictable monster and of course Cushing and Lee together.

Would love to see an eventual 4K release of this.

I know I wasn't as keen on it the last time I watched it but maybe my lackluster views so far this year affected my overall enjoyment of it this time around.

My rating: ****1/2 out of *****