Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Mist" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 7

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"The Mist" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: "The Mist" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 7

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Watched this one a few nights ago, not realizing it was one of the theme night movies. I would really love to see the BW version, but my DVD only had the color. Love this movie with [b]the rising tension in the grocery store.[/i]
Yes... I was watching and thinking "I'd love to believe this is unlikely and not how people would react.... BUT-"
Old 10-12-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The ending is one of the stupidest movie breaking ones I've ever seen - it's bleak, which is great, but the rational for suicide/murder is really thin... there's no immediate threat, they've shown the creatures harvesting corpses (so seemingly death alone is no salvation), and it feels out of character for the hero who has gone full throttle to survive until he just abruptly decides otherwise (there's no obvious duress or change in his composition leading to the final scene). Earlier the soldiers hang themselves, and no one hints at that being a viable way out until it just fits this inconsistent 'screw with the viewer' ending that suggests the writer was out of ideas on how to otherwise end things. I 'love' how the old guy approves of his random death but just shrugging. The 'oops... we are short 1 bullet' so as to justify "ironic" survival of 1 person is so random followed by the dues ex machina end it's an insult to anything else of merit in the film. Kudos to The Mist for pulling no punches, but boo for doing it in such a random way.

Apparently the book has a more open ended close, which I think would work better.
Spot on. Bleak endings are arguably more realistic (particularly in horror settings), but this seemed done for the irony and not for the plot.

I'm told the book ending for this and Cujo (kind of) swapped the survivor/dying child endings.
Old 10-26-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

OK, so I'm sitting here thinking of a way he could have successfully killed himself while shooting one of the others. I'm so morbid.
Old 10-26-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
OK, so I'm sitting here thinking of a way he could have successfully killed himself while shooting one of the others. I'm so morbid.
Gunshot through both heads?