Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Happiness Of The Katakuris" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 2

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"The Happiness Of The Katakuris" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 2

Old 09-22-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Happiness Of The Katakuris (2001)

Selected by The Man with the
Golden Doujinshi

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 01:59 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: "The Happiness Of The Katakuris" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day

This movie is available for streaming at Fandor. They have a 2 week free trial.

If you want to sign-up, use the link here. I just did it and it worked fine.

https://plus.google.com/+Moviemezzan...ts/dA2gwh6Xs9s

You'll get 30% off the subscription price, dropping it to $7/mo.
Old 10-02-15, 12:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 649 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: "The Happiness Of The Katakuris" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day

Well that was different!
Old 10-02-15, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking at the poster, I think I'm going to start hating the film of the day list from now on...
Old 10-02-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I fucking love this movie.
Old 10-02-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I just ordered this from Arrow's last sale. Looking forward to watching the mayhem.
Old 10-02-15, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Looking at the poster, I think I'm going to start hating the film of the day list from now on...
Looking at most of your posts, I think you hate everything.

The more I think about this film, the more I think I love it. No idea how to describe it at all, but I want more.
Old 10-02-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
This movie is available for streaming at Fandor. They have a 2 week free trial.

If you want to sign-up, use the link here. I just did it and it worked fine.

https://plus.google.com/+Moviemezzan...ts/dA2gwh6Xs9s

You'll get 30% off the subscription price, dropping it to $7/mo.
And don't forget the ALYXSTARR link under the poster. He's got all the subset films setup to stream for us.
Old 10-02-15, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
And don't forget the ALYXSTARR link under the poster. He's got all the subset films setup to stream for us.
But she probably has a limited amount of bandwidth, or pays for it, so we shouldn't overuse it.
Old 10-02-15, 03:48 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

Just watched this for the first time. I'd planned to see it many times before, but never got around to it.

Overall, I was disappointed. It just didn't click with me. I didn't like the claymation or the songs/dancing. If it had just been a normal horror/comedy, I probably would have enjoyed it much more.
Old 10-02-15, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say the film is a bit silly, but I stuck with it till the end, and I'm still not sure what I just watched but it was unique.......yea that's the word unique. Pretty sure the bottom line is about life in general, love and more specifically about family loyalties. I loved the Claymation .......always have had a place in my heart for Claymation. I'm sure there are those out there that would love this in their collections, but for me one viewing was enough.
Old 10-02-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I didn't watch this movie this year but it has been a favorite of mine for more than a decade. It started my passion for Takeshi Mikke and I have embarrassed many a Japanese friend by forcing them to watch it with me. I even own the soundtrack.
Old 10-02-15, 10:28 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I really can't find a lot of good to say about this. From the comments some love it and some hate it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle road. For myself, this is the first subset film that I didn't like this year. I wish I could have my two hours back to watch a different film with.
Old 10-02-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The more I think about this film, the more I think I love it. No idea how to describe it at all, but I want more.
That's about it!

I'm about 80% sure I got three characters confused, but it still made (as much) sense (as it could) despite that. I have no idea why it kept descending into claymation, and I couldn't work out why the clay creature from the beginning was even there....

I liked the vague plot (hoteliers confronting death), which reminded me quite a lot of Fawlty Towers (no bad thing - if bizarre for a horror film!). The random - but enthusiastic and straight-faced - singing was both baffling and brilliant. The choreography - and particularly often-confused reactions from onlookers - was just absurd... in a good way.

I remember watching a little but of TV in Japan and being thoroughly entraced/bemused/confused by the latent weirdness of even the news, and this film really caught that same vibe: there was a straight-forward and reasonably good horror-comedy in there, but layered with absurdity, non-sequiturs and weirdness. And it was marvellous fun!

Also, after RHPS, REPO! and Devil's Carnival, there are clearly some excellent horror-comedy-musicals out there. How odd... but great!
Old 10-03-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I enjoyed the relentless creativity of Katakuris - it was aimless in parts and at times too over the top but the kinetic antics kept things moving nicely.
Old 10-03-15, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Looking at most of your posts, I think you hate everything.

Then you aren't looking at all my posts, especially in the movie threads
Old 10-03-15, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I enjoyed the relentless creativity of Katakuris - it was aimless in parts and at times too over the top but the kinetic antics kept things moving nicely.
That is how I felt. It's a strange horror musical that takes a good deal of familiarity with modern Japanese culture and entertainment to fully appreciate and understand. I can see how it could be polarizing to viewers. Takashi Miike throws in the kitchen sink as he uses claymation on top of the bizarre music video parodies.

I liked it a lot for the most part. I called it "the Rocky Horror Picture Show meets Japanese television."

http://www.doblu.com/2015/07/01/the-...lu-ray-review/
Old 10-03-15, 10:46 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
"Relentless creativity" is the perfect phrase for this movie. It certainly showed me quite a different side of Miike than I'd seen before, although he's great with visuals no matter what kind of film he's making. I do love it where you honestly feel anything can happen - and this was definitely that.

Thanks for putting it on the list. I'd heard of this movie for a while and was glad I got to see it.

Last edited by Shack; 10-03-15 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Hey, my 500th post!
Old 10-03-15, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

It was bizarre enough that I had to keep watching, but I can't say I liked it. It was weird, which can be good, but also confusing which kind of ruined it for me.

I can accept the premise, the plot and the singing/dancing moment, but I couldn't get the claymation. And I couldn't help despise the little girl's mother. I love this dude, now this dude, but this dude here is the love of my life - yeah I have FB friends like that. Soulmate a week. Nope, nope, nope.
Old 10-03-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not in love with this movie but I picked it as a subset because of the recent blu-ray release and also because even if someone ends up not liking it, it's a crazy ride that should be experienced at least once. You probably won't see another movie similar to it any time soon.
Old 10-03-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

Here's what I wrote about it in my post in the List thread:

When I first saw The Happiness of the Katakuris a decade or so ago, I remember thinking that it was okay, but I didn’t really warm to it. Because of my initial lukewarm response, I wasn’t really looking forward to watching it again for the Challenge, but I girded my loins and put it in the player…and enjoyed it absolutely and totally this go-round. In fact, I remember thinking when it still had about a half-hour to go that I could easily watch another few hours of the adventures of the Katakuris, and I was disappointed when it had to end. I laughed out loud several times during it (especially when it went karaoke for one of the songs). I’m discovering that I usually don’t “get” Miike’s films the first time around, but after a second watch they’ve all become favorites.
Old 10-03-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can actually accept the clay parts because some of those scenes look like it would be hard to do in human form and they probably don't have the stunt work or budget for it (not sure how much claymation actually cost, though). But man, WTF did I watch. This movie looks like 10000000x more fun actually making it (you can tell they are having fun) than actually watching it. I don't really see how it falls into horror outside a couple of elements when things like Teen Wolf gets debated and can't be part of the movie of the day/night. I do admit, it was better than I expected only because from the poster I expected a D film about monsters.
Old 10-03-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I don't really see how it falls into horror outside a couple of elements when things like Teen Wolf gets debated and can't be part of the movie of the day/night.
I'd say a big part was that Teen Wolf wasn't meant to be horror but this one was. Whether or not someone is scared of it is another story but the same could be said for comedies that fall flat on the comedy.

Twilight has vampires and werewolves but like Teen Wolf, the intention of the film wasn't meant to be horror. That's why when you read descriptions of Teen Wolf or Twilight, they don't say it's a horror but Happiness is described as being horror.

It's also similar to Star Wars. It's a war movie yet you don't find War being one of the genres imdb lists it under.
Old 10-03-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I liked it a lot for the most part. I called it "the Rocky Horror Picture Show meets Japanese television."

http://www.doblu.com/2015/07/01/the-...lu-ray-review/
Great minds, or something like that...
Old 10-03-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'd say a big part was that Teen Wolf wasn't meant to be horror but this one was. Whether or not someone is scared of it is another story but the same could be said for comedies that fall flat on the comedy.

Twilight has vampires and werewolves but like Teen Wolf, the intention of the film wasn't meant to be horror. That's why when you read descriptions of Teen Wolf or Twilight, they don't say it's a horror but Happiness is described as being horror.

It's also similar to Star Wars. It's a war movie yet you don't find War being one of the genres imdb lists it under.
With Star Wars, the overall feel of it is sci-fi thus war won't be on it. However, outside of a couple of horrorish themes like the zombies, how is it horror? Because people die in the room? I just don't really see how it goes into the horror genre.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.