Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Here Comes the Devil" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 30

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-27-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Here Comes the Devil (2012)

Selected by Melmoth

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2014 DISCUSSION THREAD | 2014 LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 10-08-14 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: "Here Comes the Devil" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 30

Here Comes the Devil was a great subset choice; an eerie and mysterious supernatural film that was a standout for me so far. The moodiness was great. I loved the imagery of a truck stop on the edge of the devil's doorway and the brutality of things.

The father characterization seemed a bit thin when there could have been more depth and it's unclear how he just seems randomly prone to violence (quick to stab Luciano and shoot). Maybe that's just blunt commentary/over-generalization on male sexual aggression.

The director said "It’s not about horror. It’s not about supernatural elements. It’s about sex and sexual repression" (http://moveablefest.com/moveable_fes...interview.html). I'm not sure I understood all the sexual subtext - the girls onset of puberty seemed to kick things off and it was really weird how the parents told dirty stories of their first sexual encounters as the kids, approximately the same ages as in the parents stories disappeared. The incestious undertones seem really odd. Maybe multiple viewings would shed more light on things.
Old 10-15-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was an incredible horror movie, one of the more unique ideas we've seen from the Devil sub-genre in many years. The director is just saying that stuff to please critics, this is most definitely a horror film, one that hits you in the gut with a couple of very surprising twists. It would not shock me if Hollywood ends up remaking it for American audiences.
Old 10-17-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The director, Adrián García Bogliano, has really been cranking out the horror movies. Only 34 years old, and he's directed 10 feature-length movies since 2004.

If you like Here Comes the Devil, check out his earlier 2 movies: Cold Sweat and Penumbra. I saw them all on Netflix stream (though I don't know if they're still there). Cold Sweat is a geriatric torture/slasher movie, with nitroglycerine as the weapon of choice. Pretty ludicrous at times, but I enjoyed it. Penumbra is a very different kind of movie. A bit like Hitchcock suspense, and it has the old-school pacing of Ti West movies. The payoff may not make everyone happy, but I thought it worked for the movie.

I wish I could find more of his movies though
Old 10-20-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I come across them, I'll definitely check them out. Though the Ti West mention has me scared.
Old 10-28-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, what a movie. The tension is so tight in this movie I felt I need 2 hour deep tissue massage just to work out the stiffness in my shoulders, neck and back!

The movie starts off strong and never let up until the last 15 minutes. I was all set to reward this movie with an easy 5 stars until a few crucial mistakes in the narrative happened, in my opinion.

The movie would have been perfection if it had ended with the mom finding her kids at the bottom of the cave. Perfect ending, leaves it open to what the fuck are you going to do and...scene! So I wasn't really happy when they continued the story on.

Then I felt they screwed up again at the very end. It shows the father driving poorly away from the cave (which of course is to let us know that he has just been possessed and the demon is now learning to drive). It would have been so much better had they just let the father have been possessed the entire time after leaving the hill from originally looking for his kids. This would have explained his quick jump to violence, wanting to kill Lucio since he saw the kids bodies and then the brutality of his murder.

These are two irreparable mistakes that hurt the movie considerably when it had been chugging along so strong for 90 minutes. The last 15 just really hurt it with the decisions made dragging a perfect film down to just a very good film.

The acting was fantastic and as I said before, the tension is ridiculously high. I felt I had a stomach ache when the movie was over. Awesome pick Melmoth!

I also liked the 70's camera zooms and pulls along with a couple of Brian De Palma two-shots that really worked for the film and never felt hokey.

My rating: **** out of *****
Old 10-28-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't that upset by the very literal ending, though it does feel a little out of place from what had gone before. I presume that was to leave open the possibility of a sequel.
Old 10-30-14, 08:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Wow, I wasn't expecting much from what I consider a weak title; but darn if that wasn't the best subset choice of the month!
Old 10-30-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
....I felt they screwed up again at the very end. It shows the father driving poorly away from the cave (which of course is to let us know that he has just been possessed and the demon is now learning to drive). It would have been so much better had they just let the father have been possessed the entire time after leaving the hill from originally looking for his kids. This would have explained his quick jump to violence, wanting to kill Lucio since he saw the kids bodies and then the brutality of his murder...
It's not impossible the father was always possessed - it's been a few horror crammed days but if I recall correctly nothing about the ending rules out a possessed dad at all. The way he so coldly shoots the mother could imply diabolic premeditation.

As much as I value open endings I think it's more interesting to see the father as having been a human for much of the movie because I think that's important to the character - driven to violence by human frailty rather than by the satanic nature of being a devil.
Old 10-31-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure the father was not possessed until the end. The "learning to drive" scene showed that.
Old 10-31-14, 08:33 AM

Thanks so much for this subset choice! A great film, eerie and effectively shot throughout. The performances were all the more effective for being understated through most of the movie. I'll definitely be checking out his other work.
Old 10-31-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here Comes the Devil was pretty interesting, but am I the only one to notice how incredibly derivative it was of movies such as I Saw the Devil, Picnic at Hanging Rock, numerous Giallo films. I liked it, but it was basically a hodgepodge of great thrillers from the past few decades, and not quite as well made as most of them.

Definitely the greatest opening of all time, though.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-31-14 at 12:35 PM.