DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Mimic 3: Sentinel" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/622591-mimic-3-sentinel-reviews-discussion-2014-horror-challenge-day-13-a.html)

Chad 09-27-14 04:34 PM

"Mimic 3: Sentinel" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 13

<BR>
<table border="20"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
Mimic 3: Sentinel (2003)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...9.jpg~original

Selected by Mondo Kane

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

<table border="20"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>

<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...kSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...d.png~original
</tr></td></table>

<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

</tr></td></table>

2014 DISCUSSION THREAD | 2014 LIST THREAD
<BR>

DaveyJoe 10-03-14 12:39 PM

Re: "Mimic 3: Sentinel" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 13

Does anybody know if we have to watch #2 to follow this one?

Mondo Kane 10-06-14 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12256585)
Does anybody know if we have to watch #2 to follow this one?

It doesn't sound like it, but I'll check it out to make sure (Part 2 airs on FXHD 6:00am on the 9th)

Trevor 10-06-14 02:51 PM

I'll have to do all three. Unless its a low OCD day there's just no other way.

Trevor 10-13-14 06:23 AM

I completely forgot this was a subset pick and almost watched it yesterday. I thought I had randomly decided to watch all three Mimics yesterday, but I guess I had this in the back of my mind. Love the first, and enjoyed the second more than I thought I would. Starting 3 now.

kd5 10-13-14 07:50 AM

I really enjoyed the original Mimic, so much so that I decided to replace my DVD with the triple feature BD containing the Director's Cut of Mimic, Mimic 2, and Mimic 3: Sentinel. I would give the original Mimic a solid 4 out of 5, it was a good creepy horror movie. Mimic 2 & 3, while not being as good as the original, were still good horror movies in their own right. Reviewers at Amazon of 2 & 3 are rather critical, some giving both reasonably good reviews. Then we get to the ones which wouldn't enjoy a horror movie unless it made them shit themselves. All in all, I give Mimic 2 & 3 a good 3½ stars, I found them both enjoyable and deserving more than being crapped on by armchair critics. Didn't quite know what to make of Mimic 3 at first, but once the story played out I found it as rewarding as you might expect of a 3½ star movie, which is to say that while not being stellar, it was an acceptable entry into the horror genre.

Mondo Kane 10-13-14 01:48 PM

I liked this a bit more the 2nd time around (Still surprised on how damn short it is!)

Some flaws still get in the way. I guess the budget couldn't demand a couple police cars to show some concern about the vanishing residents. Then again, this was filmed in Romania so I'm sure the cop cars would've had an awkward look for an "American" movie. And Marvin's sudden knowledge about the bugs should've been more pronounced than just briefly showing him holding the book Garbageman wrote.

On the plus side, Alexis Dziena seemed annoying to me the first time around, but I liked her much more here. And uhh, there were a few times where I thought her shirts weren't gonna be able to hold her chest in for much longer :) Almost all the Rear Window shots were well handled and that slow creepy shot inside Ma Bell's bloody apartment might actually be my most favorite sequence I've seen all marathon long.

BTW, I had no idea that the all 3 films were on Netflix-Instant. I did DVR Part 2 earlier this week, but I can certainly delete FX's edited version in favor of Netflix's. I'll try to get to it soon.

Spiderbite 10-13-14 06:00 PM

I did the hat trick since I hadn't watched the original Mimic since it first came out.

The first Mimic did not impress me the many years ago that I saw it and I have to admit it did little for me today. It starts off well enough but I was just extremely bored with it by the 2nd half. The practical effects are nice and I play with snakes and spiders before every coming near a roach. So why wasn't I creeped out by this movie? I have no explanation other than I just couldn't get into it.

Since I didn't really care for the first one, I was dreading the second two since most of the reviews were horrid. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the second one more than the first. A lot of really good practical effects on an obviously limited budget and the story held my interest much better than the first one. No idea why.

The third one...well, what can I say...it was the third one. The story wasn't interesting and the actors were not only bland but played their characters strangely. The main guy didn't just act like he was ill but went full on retard for the part at times. I didn't quite get why one minute he played it normal and the next he played it like he had Down's. The sister, mother, hot neighbor, the cop fucking the mom...everyone played their parts a little off kilter. I can't explain it but there it is. What's funny is the actors doing this still didn't make the movie more interesting. The effects budget was obviously $28 due to the lack of them in this one and the rip-off, ahem, excuse me...homage to Rear Window just felt uninspired. I know it sounds like I hated it, and I didn't. I just disliked it.

My ratings:

Mimic - **1/2 out of *****
Mimic 2: Hardshell - *** out of *****
Mimic 3: Sentinel - ** out of *****

Why So Blu? 10-13-14 06:18 PM

I like the third one, because it spins Rear Window on its head and it works. I like the director's cut of the first. It's also cool to note that in the first Mimic film the only second unit material that was left in was the stuff shot by Robert Rodriguez -
Spoiler:
Josh Brolin's death

I don't remember too much about the second one except that the girl who played Mira Sorvino's friend in the first film is the lead in the second.

jacob_b 10-13-14 10:28 PM

Eh. Haven't seen the first two and probably won't. This was eh. It had some interesting moments, but when your main character has a lot of special needs, it kind of takes away from the story as you are noticing all his or her habits. One of the girls, the one with black hair, looks like someone who I've seen before, but don't remember from where. Main actor kind of looked like James Franco. Mom having sex with the cop with the kid there, kind of disturbing. Liked the Rear Window feel, but overall, just eh.

Undeadcow 10-13-14 11:04 PM

The Rear Window riff was too direct that it distracted from the movie.

I recall enjoying the first Mimic movie. Mimic 3 is much too subdued to benefit much from the canon for too much of it's play time. Here we know from the start that it's the judas bugs who mimic humans so the strange standing figures aren't eerie/mysterious as Mimic 3 would like to imply. Once Mimic 3 sheds it's pretension of being a mystery and the bugs show up it gets a lot better... but so much predating that is filler. For example, seeing the cop subplot mysteriously just start dating the mom and slimeballing around does not make his death meaningful.

I bet they blew their budget on Lance Henriksen.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12268575)
...I didn't quite get why one minute he played it normal and the next he played it like he had Down's...

The peeper's "acting" was really inconsistent; that was a shame.

Mondo Kane 10-13-14 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 12268879)
One of the girls, the one with black hair, looks like someone who I've seen before, but don't remember from where.

Yay! Some success with today's theme! She's probably best known for Entourage. But most guys who, uh, navigate certain celeb sites might run into some stills of her from Broken Flowers.

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 12268879)
Main actor kind of looked like James Franco. Mom having sex with the cop with the kid there, kind of disturbing. Liked the Rear Window feel, but overall, just eh.

I actually thought the lead looked like Chris Evans on a couple occasions.

The Janitor from Breakfast Club boinking Honey Bunny....Yeah, disturbing. :lol:

I also think I saw this before Indy/Crystal Skull because the climax predates "Nuke the fridge".

rbrown498 10-14-14 12:05 AM

This was a movie, and I can now say that I've seen it.

(I absolutely agree with jacob above--this was the first Mimic film that I've seen, and it's probably going to be the last. "Eh," or perhaps even "meh," sums it up perfectly.)

Trevor 10-14-14 07:21 AM

An aside here, but how can you all watch a sequel without watching the first film(s)? It doesn't hurt with this one as much, but in any case I can't see myself ever watching a sequel without seeing the original.

Spiderbite 10-14-14 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 12268951)
I also think I saw this before Indy/Crystal Skull because the climax predates "Nuke the fridge".

Dammit. I meant to make a joke about this and forgot to in my initial review. You beat me to it!

ntnon 10-14-14 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12269092)
An aside here, but how can you all watch a sequel without watching the first film(s)? It doesn't hurt with this one as much, but in any case I can't see myself ever watching a sequel without seeing the original.

Horror is usually the only time I do that... and it's mostly a combination of a) there are too many sequels, earlier numbers, prequels, etc., b) if the Xth one is the subset, that's "more important", c) there aren't enough hours in the day, d) sometimes 'sequels' don't even follow, and e) usually enough is explained for it to work. And if it doesn't, I tend to think that that might well be a failing of the film, rather than my own not having seen the first one.

ntnon 10-14-14 01:20 PM

I discovered I had the three-film pack DVDs, but only time for one film, so I watched the third. It seemed more like a homage to Rear Window than an inversion to me, and one that didn't necessarily seem to have much point. I suppose/hope the main guy's 'affliction' was explained in #1 or #2. The rest of it was well-done enough to watch, but not desperately interesting (perhaps a lack of having seen #1 or #2?) and it seemed to just stop rather than end.

Also, I wasn't entirely sure who was soon-to-be-famous...! Can anyone enlighten me, please?! I presume it's the neighbour-who-oddly-wants-to-be-his-girlfriend-for-plot-reasons, but...

jacob_b 10-14-14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 12268951)
Yay! Some success with today's theme! She's probably best known for Entourage. But most guys who, uh, navigate certain celeb sites might run into some stills of her from Broken Flowers.

What's funny is I don't watch that show and while I do check those sites, I don't remember ever hearing about that movie lol. And searching her movies, it's a Lifetime movie She's Too Young that I saw her in LMFAO!

DaveyJoe 10-18-14 12:31 PM

You know, as far as direct-to-DVD horror sequels go, these weren't too bad. I did a double-billing of Mimic 2 and Mimic 3. It's been a while since I've seen the original, so I'm a bit hazy on the whole virus thing. I have always appreciated the concept of these movies, insects are creepy but fascinating. I liked how Mimic 2 went into the lifestyle of insects and how ants can lift ten times their weight, stuff like that. It helped build up how fast and powerful the mimic creature could be. Making the main character of part 2 obsessed with insects and something of a (surprisingly pretty) social outcast was a good move.

The character in part 3 was less likable and probably should have been a younger kid. The rear window aspect didn't bother me, although it wasn't as suspenseful as Hitchcock's film. The main character's sister was a more interesting character, and I couldn't figure out why this attractive neighbor wanted to spend so much time with the sickly loser... I love how both of these movies are on the short side, and I really wouldn't mind watching some more Mimic sequels, I think it's a franchise with potential. I have been watching a lot of slashers taking place in remote camp locations and small towns, so it was refreshing to have a couple of horror flicks set in the bit city. I'm glad this was a subset pick, these sequels could have turned out much worse.