Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Vampire Lovers" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 10

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-27-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

The Vampire Lovers (1970)

Selected by clckworang

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2014 DISCUSSION THREAD | 2014 LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: "The Vampire Lovers" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 10

I really like the beheading introduction; what a start.

The Carmilla story is an interesting one; I'm due for a rewatch but Blood Splattered Bride was another I really enjoyed. The Vampire Lovers has an interesting story structure that compels irony as the viewer can only wait until the female vampire claims her victim (being privvy to the female vampire claiming others before so there's no mystery, which seems unusual).

"Not for the mentally immature" is such silly marketing Vampire Lovers seems really subdued for a lesbian vampire movie.

Mmmmmmm... Madeline Smith....

The movie doesn't seem to explain the human familiar that unloads the female vampire in with various young girls. Also, vampires in daylight...

Too bad Lust for a Vampire isn't readily available.
Old 10-10-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was my first time seeing this in it's entirety today. With this new viewing, it jumped up a notch on my imdb rating.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I mostly remembered Ingrid Pitt from my last viewing, but Madeline Smith definetly stole the show this time around.

Great poster up top, BTW.
Old 10-10-14, 06:38 PM

I got to say the 70's were probably my favorite hammer era. Their films started becoming more exploitative and explicit and in a 19th century gothic, I find that combination irresistible. Vampire Lovers is definitely among my top 10 vampire movies.

As for the vampires in sunlight...Carmilla was one of the earliest vampire stories, is possible Le Fanu erred on this in his short story? Can't remember exactly, it has been awhile since I read it. I know the funeral procession scene is in the book and didn't that take place in daylight?
Old 10-11-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-11-14, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie is just "eh" for me. Not a very interesting story but surrounded with some super hot women with heavy breasts. I approve! Most of the main actors seem to be sleepwalking through their roles and the story is so weak, I can't really blame them. But look at those jugs!

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 10-11-14, 06:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I really like the beheading introduction; what a start.

The Carmilla story is an interesting one; I'm due for a rewatch but Blood Splattered Bride was another I really enjoyed. The Vampire Lovers has an interesting story structure that compels irony as the viewer can only wait until the female vampire claims her victim (being privvy to the female vampire claiming others before so there's no mystery, which seems unusual).

"Not for the mentally immature" is such silly marketing Vampire Lovers seems really subdued for a lesbian vampire movie.

The movie doesn't seem to explain the human familiar that unloads the female vampire in with various young girls. Also, vampires in daylight...

Too bad Lust for a Vampire isn't readily available.
Yep, great opening scene!

I used to own Lust and wanted to watch it last night but couldn't find it.
Old 10-11-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
This movie is just "eh" for me. Not a very interesting story but surrounded with some super hot women with heavy breasts. I approve! Most of the main actors seem to be sleepwalking through their roles and the story is so weak, I can't really blame them. But look at those jugs!

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Pretty much spot on review for me too. Liked the way it began, but then as you mentioned, just some beautiful women and so-so performances.
Old 10-11-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Despite a weak storyline and lack of Peter Cushing, this continues to be my favorite vampire film based on the Carmilla story. And how how you not love a film the film that heavily influenced the careers of both Jean Rollin and Jess Franco?

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
But look at those jugs!

And all thanks to the Pippa Steel diet - two weeks straight of the stuff will have you going from a surfboard to a C-cup! Apparently the Brits didn't skimp on the growth hormones in their dairy products back then. I swear I'll never view this film in the same way again after watching that featurette.
Old 10-11-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Great poster up top, BTW.
Yeah, that's art from Jeff Zornow, who did the iconic Zombie vs Shark T-shirt design seen in "This is the End". My absolute favorite of his work is what he did for TerrorVision:

Spoiler:
Old 10-20-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should love this movie but I don't. Yes, it has beautiful women in it. I consider it one of the more timid Hammer movies involving vampires. Despite working in the right milieu for 70's Gothic horror, I consider it fairly average.