DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "The Comedy of Terrors" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 6 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/622583-comedy-terrors-reviews-discussion-2014-horror-challenge-day-6-a.html)

Chad 09-27-14 04:07 PM

"The Comedy of Terrors" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 6

<BR>
<table border="20"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
The Comedy of Terrors (1963)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1.jpg~original

Selected by ntnon

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

<table border="20"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>

<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...kSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...d.png~original
</tr></td></table>

<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

</tr></td></table>

2014 DISCUSSION THREAD | 2014 LIST THREAD
<BR>

Undeadcow 10-04-14 10:09 AM

Re: "The Comedy of Terrors" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 6

It took me a while to get use to the dialogue seeming so "proper." Never a really "laugh out loud" film but some clever ideas with a nice comeuppance. Peter Lorre sure never gets old, too bad he doesn't get more of the spotlight. The finale was enjoyable how everything came together, it's cool how the Shakespeare-obsessed landlord walks into fake death carnage like right out of the bard's plays.

Trevor 10-06-14 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 12257629)
It took me a while to get use to the dialogue seeming so "proper." Never a really "laugh out loud" film but some clever ideas with a nice comeuppance. Peter Lorre sure never gets old, too bad he doesn't get more of the spotlight. The finale was enjoyable how everything came together, it's cool how the Shakespeare-obsessed landlord walks into fake death carnage like right out of the bard's plays.

Good points.

I enjoyed it; and nice to get the chance to open one of my MGM Midnite Movies.

Amazing cast, nice to see them all. Could have lived without the singing. I read that the stunt double used for Lorre had a complete mask with his bug eyes.

Rhubarb the cat is the only cat to win two "Pet Oscars".

Dick Laurent 10-06-14 10:14 AM

I agree with liking it and a great cast, just odd to see Boris Karloff being relegated to such a minor (or insignificant) role. But he played it spot on.

Didn't know about the Pet Oscars. Guess I will have to school myself.

Does this sync with the theme because it was released in 1964, despite being credited as '63? Probably missed mention of that somewhere.

Undeadcow 10-06-14 10:43 AM

Edit: Thanks to Trevor, below, for clarifying.

Trevor 10-06-14 12:17 PM

It had a one theater premiere on Christmas Day 1963, then a general release in January.

So I guess it technically qualifies for the theme; but I think I'll watch another to cover my bases.

jacob_b 10-06-14 09:03 PM

Loved this film. The best movie I've seen so far. Loved the comedy and while it wasn't really very horrorish, it was amazing. Prince can be no wrong. And my goodness, Joyce Jameson is a doll.

DaveyJoe 10-07-14 10:32 AM

Less Terror and more Comedy, I thought this movie was really funny. Usually I appreciate the wit of movies from this era, but they rarely make me laugh out loud. However, this movie had me cracking up consistently throughout. Price was hilarious, I loved him as the abusive drunk, I've only seen him play serious roles, I had no idea he had such comedic range. Does anybody know of any similar roles for Price?

Darkgod 10-07-14 02:07 PM

Every time i see Price, I gain more appreciation for his acting ability.

clckworang 10-07-14 11:07 PM

I was pretty apprehensive about this movie after the opening minutes, but it turned out to be quite funny and had such a great cast.

Spiderbite 10-08-14 05:40 AM

I, too, was apprehensive on this movie. I am not a fan of the Aboott & Costello comedy horror films that so many seem to love and was expecting the slapstickiness and lame lines from that those movies contain.

I am relieved to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Very good choice ntnon! Price and Lorre make an awesome team and some of Price's lines were priceless (ahem...sorry). I loved him doing such devious things and then complaining about the dishonesty or mistrust of others. :lol:

Here's a drinking game! Drink every time Price says Mr. Gillie. You will be dead of alcohol poisoning by the end. Loved the ending and even though the movie dragged just a little near the end, I would watch this movie again in a heartbeat. Some nice chested women on this as well. Beverly Hills indeed!

Oh yeah. I was stunned to see that Richard Matheson wrote this when watching the credits. Is there anything that guy couldn't do?

My rating: **** out of *****

Trevor 10-08-14 08:38 AM

Totally agree with you there spider. The slap sticky humor usually leaves me flat, just an occasional chuckle. I prefer some sharp witty lines like we see here. And Lorre and Price were a great combo. I think I read that a sequel of sorts was planned but scrapped due to low box office. Darn you ticket buyers of yesteryear!

rbrown498 10-11-14 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12259603)
I read that the stunt double used for Lorre had a complete mask with his bug eyes.

I'm so glad that you could offer corroboration on this, Trevor! When I was watching the film, there was a quick shot of Lorre driving the hearse at one point, and I could have sworn that it wasn't Lorre but some guy wearing a Lorre mask.

Overall, I enjoyed the film quite a bit more than I expected to. It would be a great film from which to pull vocabulary lessons for high-schoolers.

Trevor 10-11-14 06:21 AM

Don't thank me, thank Wikipedia!

I need to watch some more Price this month; miss that guy.

Maybe his Muppet Show episode......

ntnon 10-14-14 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12262205)
I am relieved to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Very good choice ntnon! Price and Lorre make an awesome team and some of Price's lines were priceless (ahem...sorry). I loved him doing such devious things and then complaining about the dishonesty or mistrust of others. :lol:

:) Thanks, and I agree with that short summary - sorry to everyone else that it sort-of pushed the years a little. I checked up on films released in '64; didn't stop to see if they'd had an earlier debut...

I think I actually enjoyed this a little more last year, but even so, every time I drifted, the wit dragged me back in! I can't quite decide if I'm annoyed Mr Rathbone (and Mr Karloff) isn't/aren't in it more, or think it's about perfect because of that.

I'm quite saddened there's no sequel, too... particularly since these days we have things like Expendables bringing people together and often under-utilising them. Would that there'd been more demand and opportunity decades ago.

ntnon 10-14-14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12260977)
Price was hilarious, I loved him as the abusive drunk, I've only seen him play serious roles, I had no idea he had such comedic range. Does anybody know of any similar roles for Price?

Perhaps The Raven, Theatre of Blood or the Phibes'...?

rbrown498 10-14-14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon (Post 12269559)
Perhaps The Raven, Theatre of Blood or the Phibes'...?

And don't forget Champagne for Caesar and the Dr. Goldfoot films.

DaveyJoe 10-18-14 12:43 PM

Thanks guys! I'm suddenly very excited for the Phibes double-billing coming later in the month!