Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Reef" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 3

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"The Reef" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 3

Old 10-04-13, 07:20 PM

Re: "The Reef" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 3

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I agree with this but I also think the dead time was intentional to give the viewers an impression of the experience (uncertain hope). The Reef reminds me a little of Buried (which takes place entirley in a buried coffin) and both seem to invite the viewer into mundane details of the dilema (floating endlessly in The Reef) to establish a connection to the trauma. In The Reef there were also a number of first person point of view shows showing water, or looking under the water as if the viewer was there; also possibly to create the impression you are there. It seems like there's a huge "well, what do we do now?" segment to suggest the possibility of hope and give a subtlety to the experience.
I agree with this well said. I think I enjoyed this movie more because its been years since I've seen any shark related horror movies so it was a breath of fresh air to watch something on the subject that wasn't complete trash and I went into it with an open mind. I was surprised to recently see it's the same director as Black Water which I watched last year for the challenge. While Black Water did drag more than The Reef I still thought it gave the same feeling of dread/uncertain hope and I was able to forgive it for that reason. I also feel its more realistic in a survival horror film than a made up one so I don't mind it as long as some suspenseful events happen during the runtime to make up for it.
Old 10-04-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

I enjoyed it, and couldn't stand Open Water. That's probably due to good pacing and suspense with far less annoying characters. That said, the ending was a tad predictable and doubt it holds much weight in replay value.

Now the waiting begins for the inevitable found footage shark film Massacre at Seal Island. A Shark Week documentary crew in South Africa are filming Megalodon 2 footage when....
Old 10-05-13, 01:39 PM

I liked it... I liked how they integrated the underwater footage with the shark and the people...