DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Hausu" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/613714-hausu-reviews-discussion-2013-horror-challenge.html)

Chad 09-23-13 12:36 AM

"Hausu" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge

<BR>
<table border="20"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
Hausu (1977)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...psa3479522.jpg

Selected by Random.org

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

NOTE: This is an optional subset film that does not count as an entry. It's purely for discussion.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

<table border="20"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#778899></tr></td></table>

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD
<BR>

Joe Molotov 09-29-13 09:11 PM

Re: "Hausu" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge

I love this movie. :D

Trevor 09-30-13 12:20 PM

It's as if early Sam Raimi made a Scooby Doo film.

Edit to add: The IMDB link goes to The Dentist btw.

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 12:32 AM

I'm 10 minutes into this and starting to realize how fucking high I need to be to follow along.

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 12:33 AM

Cat is named Blanche. :lol: Cat from a 70s movie, probably dead now. :sad:

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 12:36 AM

Uh oh, things getting kinda weird.

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 12:40 AM

Not sure if horror movie
http://webtrax.hu/myfacewhen/faces/m...ot-sure-if.jpg
or Mentos commercial.

Either way I feel like huge piles of cocaine were involved in the production of this movie

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 12:43 AM

"Everytime they show the cat, use the meow sound effect, I don't care if the cat's mouth is moving or not!" :lol:

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 01:05 AM

Am I the only one watching this tonight?

"Mac you are so fat, you're like almost 100 lbs."

Disembodied head just bit a girl's ass and her reaction was to start twerking. Shit just got real.

Trevor 10-01-13 09:09 AM

Definitely a strange ride. I would have loved this back in my drinking days. It was still fun, but could be better with mood enhancers I imagine.

The occasional weird meows in the menu screen music were confusing my cats.

DaveyJoe 10-01-13 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 11855027)
Definitely a strange ride. I would have loved this back in my drinking days. It was still fun, but could be better with mood enhancers I imagine.

The occasional weird meows in the menu screen music were confusing my cats.

Yeah I was several beers deep when I started this film, so that helped my enjoyment, and explained my play-by-play posting last night. Would like to see some more discussion about this one, because it's bizarre nature definitely raised some questions. I only got about an hour into the movie because I started to get tired, but I'll revisit it later this week.

That damn cat in the movie must be a ventriloquist because it never moved its mouth when it meowed. I just... there was some weird shit going on, I lost it when the one girl was attacked by mattresses.

domer88 10-01-13 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 11854755)
I'm 10 minutes into this and starting to realize how fucking high I need to be to follow along.

It did not help all that much :lol: .. I did not like this as much the 2nd time through, saw it once in the theater a few years ago and that was a hoot, just the reactions the crowd had were great. I really like how surreal it is, like a Disney movie or dark ride come to life, the music got REALLY annoying on the second watch last night, did not remember it being that bad in the theater.

Darkgod 10-01-13 01:51 PM

ehh... I get its place in cinema history... but not the biggest fan...

shellebelle 10-01-13 10:23 PM

Really didn't care for this one. Guess I should have been drinking while watching.

Spiderbite 10-02-13 11:42 PM

So...why didn't someone say to drop acid before I watched this?

Anyway, I actually enjoyed the eye-rape. I don't normally go for artsy-fartsy films but this had to be one of the most original, crazy, weird, interesting, whatever I have ever seen. The score hooked me and the editing and all the different camera/effects techniques kept me in my seat and from snoozing. Reminded me a little of Natural Born Killers where there are a lot of different camera techniques/movie styles but this movie took it to the Nth degree.

I actually enjoyed it and that totally took me by surprise. I feel it is one of those movies that will stay with me for awhile.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****

Anyone know if there is a soundtrack available for it? I looked a little but so far could not find one.

rbrown498 10-03-13 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 11854779)
Disembodied head just bit a girl's ass and her reaction was to start twerking. Shit just got real.

DJ, you just made me laugh harder than I've laughed all day. Touche.

I LOVED this movie. I was laughing from the very start. I love it when I can't predict where a movie's going to go next, and I had absolutely no clue in this one. One of the songs in the movie sounded so much like a Goblin track that I had to read the credits (well, the translated, subtitle credits) twice to make sure that it WASN'T Goblin. I particularly enjoyed the character Kung Fu, whose every move set me off giggling, and I was quite happily surprised that the film had a bit of nudity as well. I had a GRAND time with this one.

Dick Laurent 10-04-13 07:55 AM

I enjoyed this movie the first time it came up for the challenge, but this time watching it I really didn't remember anything, other than the crazy stuff. I noticed with this viewing there is an actual story going on.

The chopped up girl near the end kind of creeps me out, mainly because she looks really young, and of course her naked bits are floating all around.

DaveyJoe 10-04-13 10:01 AM

I read some interesting theories online about how this was one big metaphor for a young girl being reluctant to enter adulthood. How each of the girl's friends represented a different aspect of female maturity, like Mac represented hormonal changes with all of the eating, Sweet(I think) was obviously the least mature and stuck in a child-like state of mind. There's also the scene at the end where Gorgeous accepts adulthood and embraces Sweet as a mother figure. All of the blood imagery at the end definitely seemed symbolic of menstruation. The film was definitely goofy but I don't want to dismiss it as such, I think there might be some depth there.

Spiderbite 10-04-13 02:43 PM

If anyone knows how to find a copy of this soundtrack, please post. I have looked everywhere but have come up short.

Jediturtle 10-09-13 07:18 AM

Wow. I have no idea what I watched, but I'll admit I kind of enjoyed it.

Undeadcow 10-19-13 02:41 AM

I wish more films experimented with the type of originality here. I love the frantic energy through much of it until they get to the house and things seem more somber but the soundtrack really pushes it along. There's some great sight gags. People seem to talk about the girls alot but I really liked the weird aunt lady. The way she seemed to just be mocking the girls.