DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk reviews for April 10th, 2013

Old 04-11-13, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

DVD Talk reviews for April 10th, 2013

Below are DVD Talk's reviews for April 10th, 2013. For a complete list of reviews, visit the review index.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Don Juan by John Sinnott

RECOMMENDED
The Bamboo Prison by Stuart Galbraith IV
The Hireling (Sony Choice Collection) by Paul Mavis
Zombie Lake: Remastered Edition by Olie Coen

RENT IT
Blue Planet: Seas of Life (Blu-ray) by Michael Zupan

Old 04-14-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: DVD Talk reviews for April 10th, 2013

Originally Posted by dvdtalkreviews View Post
RENT IT
Blue Planet: Seas of Life (Blu-ray) by Michael Zupan
The part in this review of the BBC Blu-ray Disc release of The Blue Planet: Seas of Life (which is just called The Blue Planet in the UK) about the conversion to HD, my understanding is the BBC shot it in Super 16mm film for all above water scenes and in PAL SD video for almost all underwater scenes. (And remember that PAL SD has 576 lines of resolution which is 96 more lines, and hence is 20% sharper, than NTSC SD at 480 lines).

So we can hope that the above water filmed scenes were telecined from Super 16mm into 1080 HD while the underwater video scenes were upconverted from 576 lines to 1080 lines of resolution. And I read in the links provided below that some of the later shoots of underwater scenes for the program were actually filmed using some of the BBC's early HD video cameras.

To try to find out more about how "HD" this program is, I used an Internet WayBack Machine to see the pages that are no longer at the BBC site and this is what I found...

So this link ( http://web.archive.org/web/200810091...eatures4.shtml ) has this quote from Alastair Fothergill about The Blue Planet -
"And, for the last shoots, we actually got high-definition cameras on the submersibles, which I am particularly proud of because of the huge technical difficulties involved."
And this link ( http://web.archive.org/web/200712210...net/bts2.shtml ) has this mention of HD cameras being used for The Blue Planet -
"Skilled and dedicated submarine crews and state-of-the-art high-definition cameras produce images of a quality never seen before from the deep."
And then this link ( http://web.archive.org/web/200803100...casestudy.html ) says something about re-transfering the Super 16mm film used in The Blue Planet -
"When Discovery set up its HD Theatre channel, it wanted content to show and again BBC Post Production was approached to do some reversion work on Blue Planet. They asked if there was any way that we could improve the upconverted version that had already been completed. There was a perception that super 16 upconversion was not good enough even if HD post had been used. BBC Post Production took a sequence, upconverted the video material and this time retransferred the S16 film on a Shadow Telecine. The video was upconverted to 25 frame progressive at HD to match the motion of the film material and the whole sequence was graded. This was then mastered at 25P and a slowed down version at 23.98P to have 3/2 pulldown inserted by Discovery for transmission. The results came back and BBC Post Production has since been asked to remake the series in this way."
(BTW, these links are from 5 or 6 years ago, so not sure if it's about same transfer that's on the new Blu-ray Discs or if they did another one since then.)

So there is a good chance that there's more actual HD in the program than the label of it being "upconverted" would suggest.

Last edited by dhmac; 04-14-13 at 01:09 PM.