Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Airplane!' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-27-11, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Airplane! at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=52551 and...

Been waiting for this one ever since blu-ray came out.
Old 09-29-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Airplane!' (Blu-ray)

I usually like Adam's reviews, but this one is all over the place, and was difficult to get through. And...I'm sorry, the video comparison should be removed. It's amazingly misleading, especially if someone doesn't read the opening paragraph about how it's not even grabs from the actual DVD, which looked much better than those fuzzy screen shots show form the documentary. Yes, the Blu looks much better, but I don't agree with the methodology here. Couldn't someone else here that has the actual DVD provide him with screen grabs?
Old 09-29-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 166 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin View Post
I usually like Adam's reviews, but this one is all over the place, and was difficult to get through.
I'm sorry. I have to admit that I really struggled with this one. Because the movie's basically nothing but wall-to-wall jokes, it was tough for me to find much to write about, and I didn't want to fall in the trap of just repeatedly quoting the best gags.

I won't do comparisons like that anymore unless I have an original disc in-hand.
Old 09-29-11, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I'm sorry. I have to admit that I really struggled with this one. Because the movie's basically nothing but wall-to-wall jokes, it was tough for me to find much to write about, and I didn't want to fall in the trap of just repeatedly quoting the best gags.

I won't do comparisons like that anymore unless I have an original disc in-hand.
I think the only reason anybody would read a review of "Airplane!" is to hear if the upgrade to Blu-Ray is worth it. I have never found the picture comparing thing very helpful on any site (like DVD Beaver). It just never really seems to be an accurate view of what they look like. I usually find the reviewer writing what he thinks looks better or worse more helpful.
Old 09-30-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's amazingly misleading, especially if someone doesn't read the opening paragraph about how it's not even grabs from the actual DVD,
If you can't be bothered to read what's explicitly written in the review, you don't have a whole lot of grounds for complaint.
Old 09-30-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of the reviews written for this site Adam's are the ones I've most enjoyed reading. He seems to inject a sense of fun into his writing style - shaking things up a bit from the ordinary.
Old 10-01-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If you can't be bothered to read what's explicitly written in the review, you don't have a whole lot of grounds for complaint.
Josh, I think you're missing my point. Search results will lead to this review, and I'm talking about the average moron coming here and skimming the review, and looking just at the score and the comparison shots. I'd venture to say that most people don't read every word of every review. I read the whole thing, and saw the 'disclaimer' before I even looked at the screen shots, and it's still misleading. I'm not going to sit here and compare picture quality on the new Star Wars Blus with the old DVD set if I don't have them, you know?
Old 10-03-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Search results will lead to this review, and I'm talking about the average moron coming here and skimming the review, and looking just at the score and the comparison shots.
I have a hard time building up any sympathy for people too lazy to read the information sitting right in front of their faces.