DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "The Mighty Peking Man" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 8 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/594919-mighty-peking-man-reviews-discussion-2011-horror-challenge-day-8-a.html)

Chad 09-25-11 06:36 PM

"The Mighty Peking Man" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 8

<BR>

<table border="8"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>
The Mighty Peking Man (1977)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ypekingman.jpg

Selected by Screwadu

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME
<BR>

Trevor 10-08-11 08:32 AM

Re: "The Mighty Peking Man" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 8

Holy moley! Not sure how I missed this one all this time. It's as if Toho trainees were given a huge budget and told to pretty much copy the 1976 King Kong. And despite it's cheesiness, it has a certain charm and was a fun ride.

SterlingBen 10-08-11 08:45 AM

I was disappointed that there was no Quentin Tarantino Intro and Outro. :(

Whiskey Warfield 10-08-11 05:50 PM

Imagine if you will, Shaw Brothers Studios of all people doing a yeti version of King Kong during the Godzilla-is-kid-friendly, kaiju cheeziness that was the 1970s. Now throw in a twist: Fay Wray is Sheena, Queen of the Jungle.

Granted, the "horror" is minimal, but sometimes you have to step back and watch something completely ridiculous (yet awesome) before returning to the Eye Slice 3s and ScroteRipper: The Scrote Rippernings of today. A movie to eat popcorn to. I hope it gains a few fans.

rbrown498 10-08-11 09:28 PM

This insane Shaw Brothers' production would make an ideal double feature with their Inframan. Apparently, when Dino De Laurentiis announced that he was remaking King Kong, lots of other people started making ripoffs to get in on the gravy train. So the world got this film from Hong Kong, A*P*E from South Korea, Yeti from Italy, and Queen Kong from West Germany, among others. All of them were awful. In Goliathon, a.k.a. The Mighty Peking Man, a hunter named Johnny is sent to India to bring back to Hong Kong the Peking Man after he's sighted. So he does, but he also brings back Samantha, a blonde jungle goddess who is sort of the Peking Man's keeper. Things follow a Kong-charted course until the ape AND the girl are dead! Doesn't Johnny feel bad NOW! In the right frame of mind, this film can be pretty funny. I've got two favorite lines from this one:

The first, when Johnny introduces Samantha to his brother: "Here she is--this is Samantha. She was raised in the jungle, you know."

The second, when the APMAF (Anti Peking Man Attack Force) commander is giving orders: "All units--you are to concentrate your fire. And also intensify it. Anything to kill Peking Man! Anything to kill this Peking Man! Kill the Peking Man by any means you can! Kill the Peking Man by any means! That's an order!"

Mondo Kane 10-09-11 02:51 AM

I was, uh, quite honored to whip out my vhs copy of this (Blind-bought this sometime during the late 90's) Initially, I failed to see the big deal about it (Since it was via the Rolling Thunder line), but tonight's re-viewing was a slight improvement. The thing that made come close to hollering outloud with laughter was Samantha's goodbye to the jungle. A weeping elephant AND cheetah??? :lol: How the hell did I miss that the first time?!?

BTW, and I'm sure you guys were looking, but I was only able to spot Just ONE wardrobe malfunction from Samantha. Did you catch anymore? :)

Whiskey Warfield 10-09-11 08:21 AM

When she and her man were rolling around in the cave as the giant watched - as he rose up off of her, she popped out for a quick minute.

Chad 10-09-11 02:29 PM

This was absolutely perfect for a 3 AM viewing.

Gotta love the fact that here we've got essentially a female Tarzan in the middle of the jungle, yet she clearly has a face full of makeup and lipstick on.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 10957610)
BTW, and I'm sure you guys were looking, but I was only able to spot Just ONE wardrobe malfunction from Samantha. Did you catch anymore? :)

That left nipple seemed to make an impromptu appearance every now and then. ;)

Mondo Kane 10-09-11 04:26 PM

When she was running through the city, she seemed to have a pastie on the left side. But things were different in the jungle. :lol:

takingchase 10-10-11 12:18 AM

I noticed a bevy of wardrobe malfunctions as well :lol:

Melmoth 10-10-11 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 (Post 10957400)

The second, when the APMAF (Anti Peking Man Attack Force) commander is giving orders: "All units--you are to concentrate your fire. And also intensify it. Anything to kill Peking Man! Anything to kill this Peking Man! Kill the Peking Man by any means you can! Kill the Peking Man by any means! That's an order!"

Haha, I had a laugh at that one too.

Trevor 10-10-11 06:20 AM

Looks like our titular (ok, not accurate, but I had to use that word) heroine had leading roles in a couple of other genre films. Sadly, she died a couple years ago, a much too young 57.

obscurelabel 10-10-11 08:20 AM

A couple of random thoughts:

-- Most of the model work in the last part of the movie is very good. It almost makes up for the many ridiculously bad earlier effects shots.

-- This movie has a lot of similarities to the Toho film Half Human (Jūjin Yuki Otoko, 獣人雪男). This movie is currently supressed because of supposed derogatory comments about the Ainu people of northern Japan.

Undeadcow 10-11-11 09:15 PM

How has no one yet mentioned the most amazing scenes in the history of films? The jungle woman climbs a tree, gets bitten in the loin by a snake so the male sucks the venom out, then they all slow motion dance with a cheetah. Freud would be proud.

clckworang 10-12-11 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10961615)
How has no one yet mentioned the most amazing scenes in the history of films? The jungle woman climbs a tree, gets bitten in the loin by a snake so the male sucks the venom out, then they all slow motion dance with a cheetah. Freud would be proud.

:lol: That was pretty funny, especially the ridiculous slow motion dance.