Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Night of the Comet" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 21

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Night of the Comet (1984)

Selected by nezumi

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-21-11, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Night of the Comet" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 21

Night of the Comet (NotC) is a great fluff film and good diversion mid-challenge. I love the syrupy 80s happy ending. NotC has a amazingly flawed narrative structure with little plot progression aside from the science cult, which to be always felt more like a subplot of the "we're the only people in the world" aimlessness. I got this a few years ago for less than a dollar when Blockbuster.com had an infamous $5 off $5+ coupon and it's one of my favorite blind buys. Between this and Sole Survivor (a precusor to the Final Destination franchise) director Tom Eberhart had a nice start (I winder is his 2007 Naked Fear is good). The burden of civilization is upon us...
Old 10-21-11, 10:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

First time view for me. Agree with zombiemoo, fluffy, but a fun diversion. I was going crazy all film trying to remember where I've seen Robert Beltran (the Hector character) before; Star Trek Voyager.
Old 10-21-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I watched this one not too long ago thru Netflix via dvd. I remember it started well but got duller and duller as the minutes ticked by. I don't remember everything about it but remember enough to know I don't want to waste the time watching it again. It seems like a nostalgia pick for someone more than anything.

My rating off of Netflix from that time was ** out of *****.
Old 10-21-11, 02:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

By some coincidence this was on HD Net on the 20th. It was my first time seening it. Good flick. I always enjoy films that have a limited budget but attempt something very large and do it in a clever, effecient way. I do think certain parts dragged and certain parts were clumsily constructed so where there could have been suspense there was just "activity".
Old 10-21-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I saw this in theaters when I was 13. I immediately developed a massive mad-on for Catherine Mary Stewart that even Phoebe Cates couldn't engender. I remember really LOVING the movie back then. Looking at it now, it's sorta cute 80s nostalgia with a sometimes wicked little sense of humor. Whatever happened to the blonde sister? Face like a pug but a pretty kickin' body.

I still get bugged out at the "Russian Roulette"-esque sequence.
Old 10-21-11, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved this movie since it first came out and I snapped it up as soon as it came out on DVD a few years back. I love the very 80s bubblegum soundtrack. It's even got a cult following: http://www.nightofthecomet.info/
Old 10-21-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Night of the Comet has been one of my guilty pleasures since I first saw it on VHS back in the '80s. Catherine Mary Stewart and Kelli Maroney are just perfect for their roles, and Mary Woronov shows up playing a scientist. The film has lots of quotable lines, with my favorites coming from the stockboys-turned-zombies. Writer/director Thom Eberhardt does a really good job of depicting an empty Los Angeles, and the pace never flags. It's not a classic, but it's a fun little film that deserves to be better known.
Old 10-21-11, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! I thought the discussion was supposed to begin tomorrow...

I just wanted to hop in and say to those of you who are viewing Night of the Comet for the very first time: I envy you. It's not the goriest horror film or even the scariest for that matter. As a matter of fact, I regard it as more of a Christmas film for reasons that will become immediately apparent. However, it is one of the cleverest in terms of scripting, anticipating other horror favorites such as the Buffy, the Vampire Slayer television series and the Scream films-- properties populated with teenagers who speak with a sense of irony far beyond their years. While I appreciate Catherine Mary Stuart's and Kelli Maroney's respective performances as Regina ("Reggie") and Samantha ("Sam"), I always thought that Mary Woronov and her radio station monologue were unfairly overlooked.

Enjoy the ride!

Yours truly,

DMK

Last edited by nezumi; 10-21-11 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 10-21-11, 07:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
Hey! I thought the discussion was supposed to begin tomorrow...
Maybe the rest of us are posting from Asia, where it is tomorrow.
Old 10-22-11, 04:10 PM

^^^ Give a great big "Ni hao" to everybody in Northern Virginia, Asia for us.

Here's the NYT review for Night of the Comet:

FILM: 'NIGHT OF COMET,' ADVENTURE IN CALIFORNIA

By VINCENT CANBY
Published: November 16, 1984

''Night of the Comet'' is a good-natured, end-of- the-world B-movie, written and directed by Thom Eberhardt, a new film maker whose sense of humor augments rather than upstages the mechanics of the melodrama.

The film's premise: All of the world's scientists have mysteriously died 12 months before the movie begins. At least that's the only way to explain why no one has predicted that the comet, hurtling toward earth during a jolly Christmas season, is going to come a lot closer than all of the comet-party revelers around the country suspect.

On the night of the visitation, people gather in Times Square as if for New Year's Eve. Vendors busily sell funny hats with Martian-like feelers on them. In southern California, there are comet barbecues and comet beer parties around every swimming pool. Only the film's portentous narrator knows what's about to happen. The last time this comet came near earth, he recalls dolefully, all the dinosaurs disappeared.

Like any good, self-respecting B-movie, ''Night of the Comet,'' which opens today at Loews State and other theaters, couldn't care less about dinosaurs or humanity at large. The film is, instead, about the adventures of two saucy California teen- agers, Regina and Samantha, who are sisters and who possess remarkable pluck as well as syntax. ''Why are you so weirded out?'' one sister is likely to say to the other after something unspeakable has occurred.

Reggie and Sam, as they affectionately call each other, are among the handful of southern Californians to survive the comet's visit, each, for reasons I need not go into, having been safely protected by steel walls. Those who suffered the comet's full impact have been reduced to neat little piles of red dust, leaving behind only the clothes they had on. Those partially exposed have become meat- eating zombies. The comet is benign in the manner of the neutron bomb, destroying people but not property.

For a little while, anyway, Reggie and Sam have quite a lark tooling around a seemingly empty Los Angeles, going on fancy, nonspending sprees in chic boutiques. They even meet a handsome young man who shows a distinct interest in Reggie to Sam's disappointment. Then, however, the zombies attack, and after the zombies, there arrive on the scene the members of some secret Government mission who know that their only hope of survival is to steal the young women's blood.

The film's initial special effects aren't great, but some of the dialogue is funny and Mr. Eberhardt has an effectively comic touch. All of the performers are good, especially Catherine Mary Stewart and Kelli Maroney, who play Reggie and Sam; Robert Beltran, as the young man who fancies Reggie, and Mary Woronov - the classically beautiful comedienne who co-starred with Mr. Beltran in Paul Bartel's ''Eating Raoul'' - as one of the Government people who, heroically, refuse to steal someone else's blood just to stay alive a little longer.
There's one line in the film that never fails to crack me up. The two female nurses in the underground bunker are cajoling the rescued boy and girl to put on the anesthetic masks, saying that they'll be with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny when they wake up. The boy tells them that he doesn't believe in Santa Claus. Then Dr. Carter (played by the great Geoffrey Lewis) -- who's been standing in the doorway -- says, "Whaat? You don't believe in Santa?"

In my mind, I've always seen Night of the Comet as a companion to Fred Dekker's Night of the Creeps. Aside from the similarity of the titles, both films have a sci-fi element to them, and they were both released at around the same time. What really links them together, though, is the clear sense in both films that Dekker and Comet's Thom Eberhardt are trying their hardest to give the audience something different. While I think Creeps is the better constructed film (and had a bigger budget), Comet has wittier characters.
Old 10-23-11, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Strafe
I love the very 80s bubblegum soundtrack.
Me too. Most of the songs are on heavy rotation on my iPod.

I love this movie. Great characters, so many good lines ("I just had it out with Doris once and for all again," "The car didn't know the difference," "Longest three weeks of my life"), and one of the best double-dream sequences ever. I need to try and squeeze this in again before the end of the challenge.