DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Sigmund & The Sea Monsters: Season One'

Old 09-10-11, 11:59 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Sigmund & The Sea Monsters: Season One'

I read Kurt Dahlke's DVD review of Sigmund & The Sea Monsters: Season One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=52134 and...
I'm a huge Krofft fan. I got this DVD the day it was released, although I already have the first season set from Rhino.

Sid Krofft did the commentary on the first episode, "The Monster Who Came to Dinner." For some reason, Marty wasn't around to add his thoughts. Anyway, Sid tells us his personal story on how this show was created. Nice to see and hear from the "boys" again. But they sure have grown up! The commentaries and interview are the same as the ones from the Rhino set in 2005.

I really like the hard plastic DVD case and the way the discs are stored inside. Much improved over the previous cardboard box sets that seemed awkward to open and with the discs overlapping each other. The discs also have the titles of the episodes on them, but it would have been nice to also have the episode titles either inside the case or on the back cover as well. A booklet with some info about the show would have fit nicely into that left slot in the opened case.

Rhino didn't get as far as releasing Season 2, so hopefully Vivendi will in the near future. But if you thought the first season was totally weird, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Zelda gets replaced by Gertrude, and two genies from the sea are added: Sheldon and Shelby. Sheldon was played by Rip Taylor. I'm hoping he will provide some commentary. He has an interesting story on the fire that burned down the set of the monsters' cave.

I love the theme song from this first season and hate the one from the second season. I didn't see a need to change it, because even though the story wasn't mentioned in the lyrics, we still see how Johnny and Scott met Sigmund on the beach and then took him home.

The show could have been a regular sitcom with Zelda and the boys and without Sigmund and the sea monsters. But this is a fun fantasy show from the Krofft brothers, so we wouldn't expect anything less from them.

I remember all the Krofft shows from my childhood, and in the 1990s, the Family Channel aired most of the shows on weekend mornings.

I've had good memories about the shows, so I'm looking forward to collecting all the Kroffts can give us.
Old 09-12-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Sigmund & The Sea Monsters: Season One'

I have to say, Rip Taylor in Season Two scarred me for life!

Thanks for your thoughts and extra info on this set. I agree that it needs to have episode titles printed elsewhere in the package, too.

I should just append your post to my review!