DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Hucksters'

Old 08-18-11, 11:12 AM
Cool New Member

DVD Talk review of 'The Hucksters'

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of The Hucksters at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=51902 and...I have not only read Wakeman's novel, but had several conversations in 2001 and 2002 with Luther Davis, all by telephone. Never laid eyes on the guy. Re blackmailing Buddy Hare's agent. In the novel, the agent is Jewish and Vic uses that against him. A few days prior to shooting the sequence, Gable balked. They brought Luther to the set, and he reminded Clark of how much he liked the script, and had extended his deal with the studio. Clark's response: "The script is okay, but they (the audience) will see this thing and say Gable's an anti-semite. With the war and everything, I'm just not going to do it. Find another way." As you know, Luther did just that, although not quite as dramatic, and the film was a success. Probably cries out for a remake, with Gable and Greenstreet. Too bad they wont be able to do it.

Last edited by Barry Lane; 08-18-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Hucksters'

Barry, please don't report me as a stalker, but I kept noticing threads started by you in this very lonely subforum and clicked on your name for your forum stats.

I think it's pretty cool and interesting that you've been here for 5 years and every single one of your posts have been in your own threads about reviews. But your firsthand knowledge of the industry could benefit many other threads and subforums here I think.
Old 08-19-11, 09:28 AM
Cool New Member

Trevor--Thanks for your thoughts. I'm just a reactive old man who was a small part of the business, Currently, for personal reasons of health, not mine, I'm sort of groping my way through each day, without much of a plan, other than spending time with my wife who is experiencing decline. Thanks again for your comments. I have no idea about anything much, except that which you have read. Barry
Old 08-19-11, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Thanks for the input you do provide. It's always nice to hear tidbits of information on films or cast/crew that interest me. I pray that your wife's health improves.

And none of us here know much about anything, yet we still post.