Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'MST3K Vs. Gamera: Mystery Science Theater 3000, Vol. XXI'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-07-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of MST3K Vs. Gamera: Mystery Science Theater 3000, Vol. XXI at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=49801

When I heard that all 5 Gamera titles were going to be released in the same set I circled release day on my calendar and pre-ordered it right away. I was not disappointed.

Unlike John, I do not have all of the previous MST3K volumes - this is only my fourth - but I concur that this is clearly the best of the bunch. Think about it... 5 movies instead of 4, no unnecessary collector's figurine to push the set price up any higher, and c'mon... it's Gamera!

My son and I sat down to watch the premiere movie in the set last night. The PQ and AQ were spot-on, with the only noticeable problem being slight tearing of the overlayed silhouettes of Joel and the robots about 2/3rds of the way through. I enjoyed watching my kid gasp for air from laughing so hard - the "Ow! My spine!" running gag never got old.

I can't say enough good things about this set. I'm glad it wasn't the first MST3K set I ever bought - this would spoil the rest of the sets for me.
Old 08-07-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'MST3K Vs. Gamera: Mystery Science Theater 3000, Vol. XXI'

I completely agree (although I am a longtime fan). The clips in the extras from Shout!'s standalone Gamera releases look pretty gorgeous. I was holding out for a Blu-ray release, and I still hope that happens at some point, but I think I might have to relent and get the un-MSTied Gamera DVDs too.
Old 08-07-11, 03:51 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'MST3K Vs. Gamera: Mystery Science Theater 3000, Vol. XXI'

Thanks for the kind words Ken! As I mentioned in the review, I'm pretty astounded that this was released. I'd urge anyone who's on the fence to buy this now before someone sues over the rights. (That's what happened with the Shout! Factory release of the MST Godzilla VS Megalon and it was pulled from the shelves.)

My kids and I watched all five episodes in 7 days and had a GREAT time. This is a wonderful family show.
Old 08-08-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Adam (or maybe John): I don't have my set in front of me (here at work) but aren't the non-MSTied version of each movie included on each disk as well? I know they were on the older standalone discs and just assumed they continued that practice on the sets.
Old 08-08-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Including the un-MSTied version died out kinda early in Rhino days. Six of the ten standalone discs have 'em. I'm pretty sure none of the collections do that.
Old 08-08-11, 07:51 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam's right. They don't do that anymore, unfortunately.
Old 08-11-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
Thanks for the kind words Ken! As I mentioned in the review, I'm pretty astounded that this was released. I'd urge anyone who's on the fence to buy this now before someone sues over the rights. (That's what happened with the Shout! Factory release of the MST Godzilla VS Megalon and it was pulled from the shelves.)

My kids and I watched all five episodes in 7 days and had a GREAT time. This is a wonderful family show.
Small correction, it was an earlier Rhino boxset that had G vs Megalon and had to be pulled. It was volume 10 and they re-released it with The Giant Gila Monster instead of Godzilla.

I have a feeling that Shout! is being much more careful with their rights, such as going so far as to license the original 8 films just to release the MST3K versions.

I actually order every MST3K box that comes out, and in this case I made sure to order the 8 original films (sight unseen) to round out the collection. Also, eagerly awaiting the Heisei trilogy on Bluray coming out soon.