DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Jungle Manhunt'

Old 07-02-11, 10:34 AM
Cool New Member

DVD Talk review of 'Jungle Manhunt'

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Jungle Manhunt at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=50877 and...Columbia at that time was hardly lowly. You should re-examine your observation.
Old 07-02-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Jungle Manhunt'

I beg to differ. At the time Columbia had less stars under contract, lower budgets, fewer blockbusters and a lot less prestige than MGM, Paramount, Fox, Warner Bros., and RKO, and arguably a notch below even Universal-International, which was quickly changing.

In 1951, the year JUNGLE MANHUNT was released, MGM made QUO VADIS, ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD, THE TALL TARGET, SHOW BOAT, THE GREAT CARUSO, FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND, THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE, and ROYAL WEDDING, among others.

What were some of Columbia's big hits that year?

I'm not trying to liken Columbia to, say, PRC or Astor, but my statement was correct: Columbia was lowly relative to the other majors, and way down the food chain.
Old 07-03-11, 09:36 AM
Cool New Member

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Jungle Manhunt'

If you want to take the position that MGM and Fox were bigger than Columbia, fine. But in the preceding fifteen years or so, Columbia was a studio that had Howard Hawks, Cary Grant, Ronald Colman, Rosalind Russell, Edward Dmytryk, Frank Lloyd, Frank Capra, Randolph Scott, Rita Hayworth, Louis Hayward, Orson Welles, Ida Lupino, Glenn Ford, Jean Arthur, and others under per picture or studio contracts. The recipient of the 1949 Academy Award(s) All The King's Men, Broderick Crawford, etc. Not to mention Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon. I don't want to get into debate about Universal, or RKO, or to a lesser degree Republic, but in no way can Columbia be regarded as lowly, just a little smaller.

Last edited by Barry Lane; 07-03-11 at 10:27 AM.