Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Island' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 02:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read William Harrison's DVD review of The Island at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=49163 and...
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2008/10/warning_stolen_biological_mate.html
S.J. is stolen biological material, taken against will and formed to clones line 200 pieces total. Sign of dangerous criminal activity. Original Scarlett Galabekian future pediatrician doctor, pediatrician nurse license she obtained in 2008
Old 06-21-11, 09:22 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Island' (Blu-ray)

Why do I never read in any of these reviews, including the newest Blu-ray one, how "The Island" is a straight-up remake of "Parts: The Clonus Horror (1979)"? I've been on DVD Review for ten years but it still won't let me make a link, so just look it up at IMDB.
Old 06-21-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by playerpage
Why do I never read in any of these reviews, including the newest Blu-ray one, how "The Island" is a straight-up remake of "Parts: The Clonus Horror (1979)"? I've been on DVD Review for ten years but it still won't let me make a link, so just look it up at IMDB.
Lack of research.
Old 06-22-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

The Island steals liberally from several films, including Logan's Run and THX 1138, as well as Clonus. It's not a "straight-up remake." To call it a "derivative knock-off" would be more accurate.
Old 06-22-11, 05:03 PM

The Island steals liberally from several films, including Logan's Run and THX 1138, as well as Clonus. It's not a "straight-up remake." To call it a "derivative knock-off" would be more accurate.
I'm sorry, but I've seen all of those films, and anybody who would say that "The Island" is not pretty close to a shot-for-shot remake of "Clonus" (with Dick Sargent from "Clonus" replaced with lots of explosions in "The Island") has never seen Clonus.

The only other major differences are that the wardrobe is changed from jogging shorts to onesies, and the girl survives without a lobotomy--probably because, from the start, she never needs one.

Don't get me wrong--besides the oversight, I think the review was spot-on. "The Island" is a fun film.
Old 06-23-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm sorry, but I've seen all of those films, and anybody who would say that "The Island" is not pretty close to a shot-for-shot remake of "Clonus" (with Dick Sargent from "Clonus" replaced with lots of explosions in "The Island") has never seen Clonus.
I could make the same argument about it being a remake of Logan's Run.
Old 06-23-11, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What is this I don't even
Old 06-26-11, 05:25 PM

Calling The Island Michael Bay's best movie is like calling a floater your best turd. This hack needs to go back to directing music videos and playboy videos. Glossy, over-produced, mindless crap!
Old 06-26-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where you've been reading but I have the opposite feeling:I'm sick of hearing about the Clonus/Island comparisons. I could care less. Every movie is similar to numerous others. Heck, I'm sure it's ripped off an episode or two in the Star Trek universe, another outcry I'm tired of reading.