DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Horror Film Club (May 23rd) - The Stendhal Syndrome

Old 05-16-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Horror Film Club (May 23rd) - The Stendhal Syndrome

La sindrome di Stendhal (1995)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by Darkgod

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
When beautiful police detective Anna Manni follows the bloody trail of a sophisticated serial murderer/rapist through the streets of Italy, the young woman falls victim to the bizarre "Stendhal Syndrome" - a hallucinatory phenomenon which causes her to lose her mind and memory in the presence of powerful works of art.
Trapped in this twilight realm, Anna plunges deeper and deeper into sexual psychosis, until she comes to know the killer's madness more intimately than she ever imagined.

Horror maestro Dario Argento (SUSPIRIA, OPERA) reaches new heights of florid fantasy and Grand Guignol with this warped work of art starring Maxim Magazine's "Sexiest Woman in the World" Asia Argento (LAND OF THE DEAD, XXX), Thomas Kretschmann (KING KONG, BLADE II) and Marco Leonardi (FROM DUSK TILL DAWN 3).

FUN FACTS
This was reportedly the first feature film made in Italy to use CGI.

Director Dario Argento tried at first to get Bridget Fonda and then Jennifer Jason Leigh to play the role of Anna.
He eventually cast his own daughter, Asia Argento, in the role

Ennio Morricone's eerie music score for the film follows the same tune played either forward or backward.

According to experts some 80% of people suffer from stendhal syndrome to lesser and greater degrees.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Old 05-29-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Horror Film Club (May 23rd) - The Stendhal Syndrome

Tried watching this last night. "Tried" is the key word. It's more of a psychological thriller than horror though it is missing the "thriller" part.

First 30 minutes I was interested. Next 45 minutes I got increasingly bored. Last 45 minutes I was asleep. Seriously. I woke up several times to find I had drifted off and missed several minutes. I would rewind, try to watch the parts I missed and then fall asleep again. I finally gave up and fast forwarded thru to see if anything interesting happened. Nothing did.

There are a few disturbing scenes of rape and violence but it is a bad sign when you are constantly drifting off in a movie that contains such items.

My rating: *1/2 out of *****
Old 05-29-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Horror Film Club (May 23rd) - The Stendhal Syndrome

Planning on checking this out soon; it's been a while but I remember thinking it was a very bizzare but enjoyable film. It has more depth than some of Argento's catalogue although a bit too strained with the psychological mind bending.