Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'South Park: Complete Fourteenth Season' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-30-11, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Michael Zupan's DVD review of South Park: Complete Fourteenth Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=47975 and...the uproar over episode "201" seemed to be much ado about nothing. One crackpot, who never saw the episode and who wants to see his name in the paper, is outraged and then other people who hadn't seen the show read about the controversy and are also offended. The fact that the show did not actually have anything offensive to muslims seems to be lost in the uproar. It reminds me of the time MTV2 had a cartoon series called "Where my Dogs at?" about two stray dogs that live in Hollywood and keep getting adopted by celebrities. They had an episode that showed Snoop Dogg walking around with women on leashes wearing dog collars for about 10 seconds. There was outrage by a pressure group and hack columnist Stanley Crouch that said the show was racist and sexist and the series was cancelled. The fact that Snoop Dogg had actually gone to an MTV award show with women with leashes and dog collars a year earlier was not considered important and generally ignored.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 04-30-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'South Park: Complete Fourteenth Season' (Blu-ray)

Part of the controversy is that merely using an image of Muhammad, no matter how 'appropriate' or respectful it may be, is something that's not really cool with the extremists. So, that's why it was such a big deal, because then the extremists started making threats. Extremists are always looking for a reason to get up in arms about something and make demands and death threats. If it's not one thing, it's going to be another. The fact that Muhammad wasn't used in a negative way doesn't really matter to them.

I agree with you though when you say that there really was nothing offensive in regards to how Muhammad was EVER used in South Park. Even in the old Super Friends episode, Muhammad wasn't made out to be this silly crackpot, he was just a character that looked like a Muslim. It's not like they made him out to be something absurd, like how when Matt and Trey used the bad guy from Tron for Moses.
Old 04-30-11, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'South Park: Complete Fourteenth Season' (Blu-ray)

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Part of the controversy is that merely using an image of Muhammad, no matter how 'appropriate' or respectful it may be, is something that's not really cool with the extremists. So, that's why it was such a big deal, because then the extremists started making threats. Extremists are always looking for a reason to get up in arms about something and make demands and death threats. If it's not one thing, it's going to be another. The fact that Muhammad wasn't used in a negative way doesn't really matter to them.

I agree with you though when you say that there really was nothing offensive in regards to how Muhammad was EVER used in South Park. Even in the old Super Friends episode, Muhammad wasn't made out to be this silly crackpot, he was just a character that looked like a Muslim. It's not like they made him out to be something absurd, like how when Matt and Trey used the bad guy from Tron for Moses.
I just watched the episodes and I don't think there was any image of Muhammad shown in episodes "200" or "201". That was why I said there was much ado about nothing by people who never watched it. The guy in the bear suit was Santa Claus, not Muhammad.