Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (April 4th) - The Prowler

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-28-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 812 Likes on 317 Posts

The Prowler (1981)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by brianluvdvd

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Avalon Bay, 1945: On the night of her graduation dance, young Rosemary and her date are brutally murdered by a prowler thought to be a jilted soldier home from the war.
The killer was never found. Thirty years later, the dance is held again for the first time since that horrific evening but something else may have also returned...
Tonight, the teens of this sleepy town will meet their grisly ends at the hands and pitchfork, blade and more of THE PROWLER!

Also known as ROSEMARY'S KILLER, this gruesome shocker is one of the cruelest "body-count" movies of the 1980s, thanks to razor-sharp direction by Joseph Zito (FRIDAY THE 13: THE FINAL CHAPTER) and graphic gore effects by Tom Savini (DAWN OF THE DEAD, MANIAC).
Hollywood legends Farley Granger (STRANGERS ON A TRAIN) and Lawrence Tierney (RESERVOIR DOGS) star in this rarely-seen sleeper from the golden age of slasher films now presented completely uncut and uncensored in grisly High Definition!

FUN FACTS
This film was the reason that director Joseph Zito was later selected to direct "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter" (1984) ...arguably the best of the series.

While working on makeup effects for Cindy Weintraub, Tom Savini accidentally dyed her skin beet red.
It took three days for the dye to wear off.

The cemetery scenes were shot at an actual cemetery on Halloween night of 1980.
The open grave used in the film was an actual open grave in the cemetery that was awaiting a funeral.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Old 04-06-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,229 Likes on 754 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (April 4th) - The Prowler

Well, this one is a snoozer. Not as sleep worthy as The Unnamable, but close.

The transfer is in HD and while it isn't a very bright transfer, the picture is clear and looks better than most 1980 movies shown on Netflix. The only thing that saves this movie is the few kills are decent and the effects are very well done. Much more gruesome than the original Friday The 13th but the story sucks. A dumb title and even dumber teeny-boppers doesn't help.

I still never really figured out why suddenly the killer decides to start killing some 36 years later but whatever. I don't think it really mattered and it was hard to pay attention over my yawning.

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 04-06-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Always thought this one was decent. Not amazing or the most memorable slasher but I'd give it a 7/10
Old 05-04-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I always thought this was one of the better slasher clones to come out in the 80's. Not anything amazing, but better then some of the schlock that was released...

6/10
Old 05-04-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Good kills, no thrills!
Old 05-04-11, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How this movie is so revered I will never understand. Aren't movies supposed to be entertaining? How do you watch a movie while you're sleeping?