Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Ten Commandments (Limited Edition Gift Set)' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-23-11, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of The Ten Commandments (Limited Edition Gift Set) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=47531 and...

The picture quality is great, but it's a huge mistake to get this set. They could easily have fit the entire movie on a disc. I refuse to watch a movie that you have to change disc during. Unless it was a tv movie that is supposed to be split across discs they way that it was split across nights. Big mistake.
Old 03-23-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Ten Commandments (Limited Edition Gift Set)' (Blu-ray)

Well, the disc break comes during intermission, so I don't think it's particularly intrusive and certainly not enough for a purchase to be a "huge mistake".

I really doubt that the same quality could've been maintained for a nearly four-hour long movie with 24-bit lossless audio on one disc.
Old 03-23-11, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Ten Commandments (Limited Edition Gift Set)' (Blu-ray)

I wish we could get rid of 3-D and bring back Vistavision. I remember seeing "To Catch a Thief" on HD and my jaw just hit the floor. I had no interest in the film at all, but was riveted by Vistavision.
Old 03-24-11, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of The Ten Commandments (Limited Edition Gift Set) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=47531 and...

The picture quality is great, but it's a huge mistake to get this set. They could easily have fit the entire movie on a disc. I refuse to watch a movie that you have to change disc during. Unless it was a tv movie that is supposed to be split across discs they way that it was split across nights. Big mistake.
Sorry, but that's the stupidest complaint against watching a movie I've ever heard.
Old 03-24-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I refuse to watch a movie that you have to change disc during.
What happens if you need to use the restroom or answer a phone call while watching a dvd? Do you have to start the movie over from the beginning each time? I'm just curious, because I'm assuming you've never used the pause function.
Old 03-24-11, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
What happens if you need to use the restroom or answer a phone call while watching a dvd? Do you have to start the movie over from the beginning each time? I'm just curious, because I'm assuming you've never used the pause function.
I wonder if he would have stormed out of the theater when the intermission sign came up?
Old 03-24-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

On a related note, I don't believe I've ever made use of a "Play All" option.
Old 03-24-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It needs to be said: Outstanding review.
Old 03-24-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Frankly, I'm angry all TV series' aren't ultra compressed and crammed on one DVD per season.
Old 03-24-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The O
Ditto. Adam nailed why that movie is so, so great.
It made me order the new set.
Old 03-24-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The O
Pretty much par for the course with Tyner.
Old 03-25-11, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Wow! Thank you all so much!
Old 03-27-11, 04:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dino88
I don't have a phone, so that's never a problem. I go to the bathroom at around the same times every day, so I just never watch a movie during those times. And yes, I never use the pause function. Well, very very rarely.
Old 03-28-11, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a phone, so that's never a problem. I go to the bathroom at around the same times every day, so I just never watch a movie during those times. And yes, I never use the pause function. Well, very very rarely.
So in the end, it comes down to the inconvenience of having to switch disks at the intermission point or no longer have the absolutely best video and audio quality available to this movie within the Blu-ray format. You can't have both. From your first post I can't tell if you realized there was going to a trade-off or not. But obviously based on everyone else that has posted, they disagree and would rather have the best quality available.
Old 03-28-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We are going to watch movies together.
I swear to god we are.
Old 03-28-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
We are going to watch movies together.
I swear to god we are.
Like...on a date?
Old 03-28-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by burnside986
Like...on a date?
Burnsey, how many times do I have to tell you: it ain't gonna happen.
Old 03-28-11, 10:25 PM

I go to the bathroom at around the same times every day
Way more than I needed to know...
Old 03-29-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Slippery slope is all I'm sayin'......

Man sits in chair 2 years without moving