Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Last Tango in Paris' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ryan Keefer's DVD review of Last Tango in Paris at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=47246 and...

I completely disagree. He states that Marlon Brando gives an "indifferent performance" that he says basically ruins the film. What???

Brando's performance here is historically considered one of his very best (which is obviously saying a LOT). I think it's one of the best leading male actor performances EVER.

This was a very daring film in its time, and it boasts beautiful camerawork and two brave, tragic performances. It is highly recommended.

Did we watch the same film, Mr Keefer?
Old 03-14-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Last Tango in Paris' (Blu-ray)

Such is the beauty of discussing a subjective medium I suppose. In a film that didn't impress me, Brando sure didn't. As far as his performances, I'd even suggest he did better work in Reflections in a Golden Eye. I await your abuse and flame throwing.
Old 03-14-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reefa
Such is the beauty of discussing a subjective medium I suppose. In a film that didn't impress me, Brando sure didn't. As far as his performances, I'd even suggest he did better work in Reflections in a Golden Eye. I await your abuse and flame throwing.
I liked him in Tango, but I'm with you on Reflections - my personal favorite performance by him.
Old 03-15-11, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

No abuse.

Actually, I agree he is brilliant in "Reflections in a Golden Eye". A criminally underrated film that is even MORE daring for its time than "Tango" was for its time.

"Reflections" was made in 1967, and was about a high ranking, unhappily married serviceman who is also a closeted, repressed homosexual. You'd probably make waves with that even today!

I dislike the DVD of that film because Warner has chosen to release only that golden-hued black and white version. Apparently that is how director John Huston wanted it, originally. The studio at the time went against him on that, and released a stunningly beautiful, full color version. That is the version that was on VHS all those years, and that's how I'VE always known the film. So, when WB released the DVD ONLY in the gold version, it went against my memories of how the film looked. I can understand restoring it to the director's "original vision", but they should have perhaps included both versions as an option. Love the film, though.

I also really like "Burn!", by Gillo Pontecorvo and starring Brando, as well.

(PS- I like Stuart Galbraith IV's new review of "Last Tango" better. End of abuse.)