Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (March 7th) - Subspecies

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-05-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Subspecies (1991)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by Chad

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Three young students studying the folklore of Transylvania uncover an ancient clan of vampires ruled by the sadistic, monstrous Radu, who becomes obsessed with making them his fledglings.

FUN FACTS
Has the distinction of being one of the first American based films to be allowed to shoot in Romania.
It is also one of the first vampire films to be shot in the land of Dracula.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Last edited by Chad; 03-07-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (March 7th) - Subspecies

I've been wanting to catch this one but keep being too broke for the assorted Full Moon sales...[listens to the echo of his own words]
Old 03-07-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this last october for the challenge remembered enjoying it. gonna check it out tonight after wrestling
Old 03-08-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

Watched this tonight. It's odd that I have never seen it but I remember the rental box well from my busy teenage rental years (though this came out near the end of that). I always thought it was about the little demons running around and had no idea they only play an extremely minor part. This movie is a straight ahead vampire flick that at least tries to be somewhat difference from the million other vampire movies which garnered some of my respect.

The problem is the pacing. I would look at the clock thinking 25 minutes had passed but it was only 10. Some spots are achingly slow. And the Netflix transfer rivals the beat up video cassette from the Movie Gallery that was in a trailer that I would have rented this from in 1991. There were times where I thought I needed to put a head cleaner in my Xbox. And the ratio on Netflix is 4:3 (don't know if that is correct but with a transfer this bad, who cares).

I would have liked to see the main chick's tits but with her god-awful haircut, she looked more and more like Brian Bloom as the movie went on. Glad she kept her clothes on after all.

So...it was just okay. Nothing special but it wasn't as terrible as I anticipated. The acting was better than expected and it is always nice to see practical effects nowadays. The action scenes at the end were extremely lame but then again, this movie looks like it was made for two thousand dollars.

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 03-08-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I chalked it up as having recently watched this in october, but guess im not the only one the pacing of the first 2/3 of this movie was horrible. and the transfer on netflix is pretty bad

with that out the way i did enjoy the setting of the movie everything just felt creepy from the start. the acting was decent (almost seems like there a whole new level in current bad acting then there was back then) while dated the make up was done well and imo holds up to todays standards even the lil special effect demons I enjoyed

my fav part had to be the sword fight at the end with the fire stunt on the staircase almost scream "listen if the fireball doesnt work just keep going we dont have the money to reshoot it"

overall i enjoyed it and will check out atleast the second part anyone seen any of the sequels?
Old 03-12-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I never saw this... well in its entirety. I always saw parts late night on cable, but always thought it looked too crappy to check. Saw it was streaming and watched it. I actually liked it very much, and thought Radu was awesome the vampire.
The acting it is pretty bad, especially the women of the movie. But seeing Radu be all evil was good, as well as the cameo of Scrimm. I didn't expect the reveal that the brother was also a vampire, and his brother for that matter. The effects don't really hold up twenty years later, but they don't look as terrible from a low budget movie standpoint.
I now want to watch the sequals but, I am afraid they go downhill real fast.

6/10
Old 03-12-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darkgod
. The effects don't really hold up twenty years later, but they don't look as terrible from a low budget movie standpoint.
I now want to watch the sequals but, I am afraid they go downhill real fast.

6/10
the one thing iv noticed the more i got into horror is i can respect "poorly aged" effects compared to the new cheezy cgi effects bc it atleast looks like there was effort made

and i only watched half the second it seemed atleast on par i enjoyed it just gotta get time to finish it
Old 03-16-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats what i think about the effects as well... and thanks for the heads up on part 2, gonna check it out