Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XX'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-22-11, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bailey's DVD review of Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XX at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=47193 and...

Just FYI--Jeff Stonehouse joined the staff in 1994, during season six.
Old 02-22-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XX'

Thanks, Sampo. Updated.
Old 02-26-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 172 Posts

As long as this volume isn't bundled with any of those mini toys that have plagued the recent releases, I'm in. Those "limited collectors edition" items that went straight into the waste can drove up the prices and the demand unnecessarily (from my perspective). I just want to see the flicks and not have to be forced to collect stuff.
Old 02-28-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,042 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
As long as this volume isn't bundled with any of those mini toys that have plagued the recent releases, I'm in. Those "limited collectors edition" items that went straight into the waste can drove up the prices and the demand unnecessarily (from my perspective). I just want to see the flicks and not have to be forced to collect stuff.
Can I have your Crow figure? I missed it and need it to match my Tom and Gypsy figs.
Old 02-28-11, 02:58 PM
Banned

I wish they'd put out the episodes by themselves instead of glopping them together in volumes like this. I don't want to be forced to get the inferior Joel episodes just so I can get one or two awesome Mike episodes. I can't STAND Joel.
Old 02-28-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,042 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I wish they'd put out the episodes by themselves instead of glopping them together in volumes like this. I don't want to be forced to get the inferior Joel episodes just so I can get one or two awesome Mike episodes. I can't STAND Joel.
While I love both hosts, I've wished they would release them as singles for other reasons. Mainly, it would be easier to space out their purchasing, plus it would be easier to put them into episode order on my shelf.
Old 02-28-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,290 Likes on 845 Posts

I wish they'd put out the episodes by themselves instead of glopping them together in volumes like this.
Rhino tried that and had a really tough time getting retailers to bite. Stores are more keen on carrying the volumes. I'm pretty sure that was the official explanation anyway. Though this part's more of a benefit to them than us, I'm sure it's much easier to market beefier sets, and the overhead is probably lighter by putting everything together in sets as well.

I don't want to be forced to get the inferior Joel episodes just so I can get one or two awesome Mike episodes. I can't STAND Joel.
...whereas I'm way more of a Joel fan. (I like Mike a lot too, especially as he tackled the rest of the Comedy Central episodes...I just think the Sci-Fi era as a whole is pretty lousy.)
Old 02-28-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I just think the Sci-Fi era as a whole is pretty lousy.)
I actually thought the Sci-Fi episodes were just as good as the Joel era episodes, except the host segments are horrible (you could put a gun to my head, and I would still skip past them).