Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Todd Douglass Jr.'s DVD review of Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=47486 and...

Thanks for the review. I couldn't wait so I picked this up from Britain when it was released in late November (although I didn't get it until early January due to the UK weather). It's region A friendly and is only £12.97 minus VAT plus shipping at Amazon.co.uk. It's less than at Amazon.com.

I'm a Les Mis junkie and enjoyed the blu-ray very much. I disagree with you a little. I thought Norm Lewis was fine but I have to agree that Nick Jonas was a major misstep. What possessed Cameron Mackintosh to cast him? It's not like teenies are big Les Mis fans to begin with. His singing was weak and reedy compared to everyone else and any attempt to put any acting into his role just made him look constipated.

No, it's not the best cast one could have put together, but it's still quite magnificent, a must for any Les Mis fan.
Old 02-12-11, 11:36 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Les Miserables: The 25th Anniversary Concert' (Blu-ray)

Norm Lewis is a very capable singer, I just don't feel that role was correct for his style and voice. Something about his versions of Javert's songs didn't do it for me, though I'm sure there have been far worse Javerts out there. Don't even get me started on Jonas. I could go on and on about how he butchered songs like "One Day More" and others. The kid just can't hold a note to save his life.

I too am a Les Mis Junkie and would see the show anywhere, with any cast (though I've seen some terrible performances). Through thick or thin I just can't get enough of the show.
Old 03-07-11, 02:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought that the problem with Nick was that his voice was too young for the role of Marius - I'm not sure why he couldn't sing the score, since he's a singer by profession - he can't act within the confines of a semi-staged concert performance, that's for sure.

I base my thoughts of a singer/actor playing Javert if he can nail 'Stars' - in my mind, Norm Lewis didn't.

Matt Lucas really surprised me - he can sing? wow, I didn't know that!

Alfie Boe - uh, what can I say, not only can he set his voice to soar, but he's incredibly charismatic!

(so, when's the movie version of the musical going to be made??)

Last edited by Giles; 03-07-11 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
(so, when's the movie version of the musical going to be made??)
IMDb has it opening in 2013. It looks like Tom Hooper (The King's Speech, The Damned United, John Adams (HBO)) will direct. Lots of speculation about casting. I just hope they go for veterans among those who have done the show instead of big names. And I hope they stick with all dialog being sung.
Old 03-17-11, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be awesome to see. They I just hope it's done justice!

I didn't know about the 25th anniversary concert till my dad told me about it when I was talking with him the other night. I guess he was watching it in PBS. Anyway, I ordered the Blu-ray from Amazon the other day and just received it. So far I've just watched the first 10 minutes, but I can't wait to see the rest. I heard Nick Jonas was in it, and can I ask WTF were they thinking before I even see him sing for myself? I love Les Mis. I have the music from the 10th anniversary concert and have fond memories of seeing it on Broadway back in '98. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it again someday!