Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Elvis - The Hollywood Collection (Kissin' Cousins/Girl Happy/Tickle Me/Stay Away, Joe/Live a Little, Love a Little/Charro!)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Elvis - The Hollywood Collection (Kissin' Cousins/Girl Happy/Tickle Me/Stay Away, Joe/Live a Little, Love a Little/Charro!)'

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Elvis - The Hollywood Collection (Kissin' Cousins/Girl Happy/Tickle Me/Stay Away, Joe/Live a Little, Love a Little/Charro!) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30398 and...

Disagree about two the films: TICKLE ME has a great comedy performance from Elvis, a strong soundtrack, and terrific fight sequences. The reviewer seems to rely on all the well-known reviews and does not see the subtleties herein: Elvis actually lampoons himself in two scenes, one when after conspicuously absent, a local barkeeper hands him a guitar -Elvis' response: "Don't me. I know"; the other is in a good dream sequence where he plays "The Panhandle Kid". There are several very funny scenes where Presley shows off his comedy chops.
GIRL HAPPY has a nice movement but what an embarrassment to watch Presley and Fabares mess around with a Beach Movie script. they were both about 8 years too old for this. Awful soundtrack, even worse on record.
STAY AWAY, JOE features Elvis playing a character his own age and he's quite engaged playing a Native-American. Too bad the script is loaded with all the stereotyping expected by High School children at the time. Two good songs get through; a third song, the opening theme, not so good.
CHARRO is another embarrassing mess - Elvis looks confused throughout. Perhaps there's some decent snippets left on the cutting room floor and hopefully stashed away for future use.
Old 02-05-11, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Elvis - The Hollywood Collection (Kissin' Cousins/Girl Happy/

edit: "Elvis' new employer is conspicuously absent". Also...."Don't tell me. I know".
Old 02-16-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Elvis - The Hollywood Collection (Kissin' Cousins/Girl Happy/

Originally Posted by LewisLaguna
I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Elvis - The Hollywood Collection (Kissin' Cousins/Girl Happy/Tickle Me/Stay Away, Joe/Live a Little, Love a Little/Charro!) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30398 and...

Disagree about two the films: TICKLE ME has a great comedy performance from Elvis, a strong soundtrack, and terrific fight sequences. The reviewer seems to rely on all the well-known reviews and does not see the subtleties herein: Elvis actually lampoons himself in two scenes, one when after conspicuously absent, a local barkeeper hands him a guitar -Elvis' response: "Don't me. I know"; the other is in a good dream sequence where he plays "The Panhandle Kid". There are several very funny scenes where Presley shows off his comedy chops.
GIRL HAPPY has a nice movement but what an embarrassment to watch Presley and Fabares mess around with a Beach Movie script. they were both about 8 years too old for this. Awful soundtrack, even worse on record.
STAY AWAY, JOE features Elvis playing a character his own age and he's quite engaged playing a Native-American. Too bad the script is loaded with all the stereotyping expected by High School children at the time. Two good songs get through; a third song, the opening theme, not so good.
CHARRO is another embarrassing mess - Elvis looks confused throughout. Perhaps there's some decent snippets left on the cutting room floor and hopefully stashed away for future use.
I remember seeing TICKLE ME on TV years ago and being very impressed with leading lady Jocelyn Lane, an English actress who'd worked in Europe for over a decade by the time she wound up in this. She was very hot in this film and that alone elevates it above the standard Elvis fare of the time. She starred in THE MINISKIRT MOB a couple of years later.

I remember seeing the trailer for CHARRO in a theater the week before it was released and when the camera zoomed in on a bearded Elvis, the audience roared with laughter. I did go see the movie (the only Elvis movie I went to see during its initial release) but I wasn't too impressed. Elvis could have been so good in a non-musical, but by this point he wasn't even trying. Very sad.