Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut' (Blu-ray)

Old 10-14-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45942 and...

RE: "Finally, in a welcome change that I'm assuming has to do with musical rights, Clannad's beautiful song "I Will Find You" has been reinserted into a pivotal scene that, for the Expanded Edition, had been removed from the score in lieu of a slower-paced version of "The Gael". Since it's really the only portion of The Last of the Mohicans that doesn't hinge on the rhythm of the tribal Irish-infused scoring, it places heartier emphasis on its place in the picture -- even if the lyrics and song construction are a little less abstract than Mann's used to."

I believe the lyrics are in Gaelic this time around.
Old 10-15-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut' (Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan View Post
I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45942 and...

RE: "Finally, in a welcome change that I'm assuming has to do with musical rights, Clannad's beautiful song "I Will Find You" has been reinserted into a pivotal scene that, for the Expanded Edition, had been removed from the score in lieu of a slower-paced version of "The Gael". Since it's really the only portion of The Last of the Mohicans that doesn't hinge on the rhythm of the tribal Irish-infused scoring, it places heartier emphasis on its place in the picture -- even if the lyrics and song construction are a little less abstract than Mann's used to."

I believe the lyrics are in Gaelic this time around.
You know, this is true. When I screened the Blu-ray the first time, it took me by surprise to actually hear the melody -- and I was, naturally, engrossed with the scene, to a degree that I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. While screening both the Expanded DVD for comparison and the Blu-ray with the commentary for a second go-around, I should've flipped the audio track over and paid closer attention to the actual lyrics. A notation has been made in the review -- thanks!
Old 10-15-10, 08:46 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut' (Blu-ray

I just wanted to mention that the character of Alice Munro is played by Jodhi May not Jodhi Rae.
Old 10-18-10, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
You know, this is true. When I screened the Blu-ray the first time, it took me by surprise to actually hear the melody -- and I was, naturally, engrossed with the scene, to a degree that I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. While screening both the Expanded DVD for comparison and the Blu-ray with the commentary for a second go-around, I should've flipped the audio track over and paid closer attention to the actual lyrics. A notation has been made in the review -- thanks!
An anonymous IMDB poster isn't a definitive source, but I just read this on the 'Mohicans' forum:

"The Clannad song is back, but in what I think is Gaelic rather than English"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not gaelic, it's the Cheyenne/Huron language
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/...1379#172157971

I'm not an expert at ethno-musicological linguistics, I assumed it was Gaelic (I'm not the only one) because it "sounded" Gaelic & because of Clannad's Irish origins (not the mention the original score's Irish folk melody). Mann doesn't talk about it in his commentary.
Old 10-26-10, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

I really enjoyed the Director's Expanded Edition and was hoping the Blu Ray "Definitive Cut" would be even better, but from Thomas Spurlin's review, it doesn't sound like it is much of an improvement. Years ago I heard that Mann had planned to expand on some of the subplots (including the relationship between Uncas and Alice), but I guess that is not to be. Maybe in the "Super-Duper Ultimate Deluxe Cut"? Anyway, I'm happy with the VHS and the earlier Director's Edition dvd, so I guess won't be triple-dipping on this title.