DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Night of the Demons" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 31 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/580404-night-demons-reviews-discussion-2010-horror-challenge-day-31-a.html)

Chad 10-07-10 09:18 PM

"Night of the Demons" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 31

<BR>
Night of the Demons (1988)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ftheDemons.jpg

IMDB PAGE

Selected by Jack-O.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

<BR>

dsa_shea 10-07-10 09:29 PM

Re: "Night of the Demons" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 31

Titties beware! One of the more enjoyable horror movies of the 80s in my opinion.

JOE29 10-13-10 08:42 PM

I'll be getting the remake that's being released next week, looking forward to it.

SterlingBen 10-31-10 11:40 AM

I love me some 80's Quigley.

onebyone 10-31-10 12:20 PM

I will be watching this one tonight. October just doesn't feel right if I don't roll this movie. It's fantastically fun.

Kurt D 10-31-10 04:22 PM

More spooky atmosphere than any 5 modern remakes. It's the horror movie equivalent of watching demonic faces in a roaring fire.

Trevor 10-31-10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10463117)
I love me some 80's Quigley.

She's in the remake too, right? Getting ready to watch both right now, plus the sequels if I can stay awake.

Trevor 10-31-10 09:18 PM

Like most teen films of this era, this movie doesn't do much for me. I love the premise, but find the acting pretty bad, and most importantly, all of the characters unlikable. I didn't care about anyone in the film.

But compared to the sequels, it's Citizen freaking Kane.

Chad 10-31-10 10:37 PM

Gotta love the ditzy blonde that is Judy and Stooge, well, he's easily the obnoxious equivalent of Franklin from TCM. A classic. Well, not really, but oodles of fun nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10464426)
But compared to the sequels, it's Citizen freaking Kane.

I found Part 2, aside from Nunchucks nun, actually exceeded my expectations for a DTV sequel. Part 3 was a train wreck.

cproaps 10-31-10 11:07 PM

Linnea, Linnea, Linnea. Oh yeah, the movie. I hadn't seen this in so long that I really started to think I hadn't seen it before until the scene where they couldn't find the gate in the wall. Still, as typical as the story is, the makeup effects are still pretty cool. You gotta give it to the late 70's through the 80's make up, because as bad as most of the cheap horror movies were, modern cgi still has a tough time with photorealism. Of course you don't need zombies or makeup or computers when you have a fireplace and Linnea! Just keep the camera rolling.

Dick Laurent 11-01-10 02:53 AM

I liked this a lot. Not much to it, but it worked for what it is. The gore is great as well.

But what the heck happened at the end? That seemed to come out of nowhere to me, unless I missed something.

SterlingBen 11-02-10 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 10464912)
I liked this a lot. Not much to it, but it worked for what it is. The gore is great as well.

But what the heck happened at the end? That seemed to come out of nowhere to me, unless I missed something.

The old guy? That was set up at the beginning.

Undeadcow 11-02-10 10:48 PM

I usually like prologues/epilogues but agree with Dick the bit in Night of the Demons always seemed too over-the-top and nonsensical to be effective.

Spoiler:
The old woman puts razor blades in the food at the beginning and at the end when he eats his insides get sliced.

SterlingBen 11-03-10 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10469550)
I usually like prologues/epilogues but agree with Dick the bit in Night of the Demons always seemed too over-the-top and nonsensical to be effective.

Spoiler:
The old woman puts razor blades in the food at the beginning and at the end when he eats his insides get sliced.

^--Are you sure? I was under the impression that the old man put the razor blades in and gave them to kids all night and had left overs which his wife baked into a pie.

Undeadcow 11-04-10 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10469786)
^--Are you sure? I was under the impression that the old man put the razor blades in and gave them to kids all night and had left overs which his wife baked into a pie.

You're probably right, it's been a while since I last saw Night of the Demons... :wacko:

Although if there were blades in the apple the wife would surely have noticed making the outcome intentional; but the whole thing is just so off it's anybody's guess.

Dick Laurent 11-04-10 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10473524)
Although if there were blades in the apple the wife would surely have noticed making the outcome intentional; but the whole thing is just so off it's anybody's guess.

This is my problem. I guess the blades set up in the beginning wasn't prominent enough to give a good pay-off at the end. That idea just doesn't fit the rest of the movie for me.

They should have let end with the survivors walk at the end.

onebyone 11-04-10 11:21 PM

I have seen the movie many, many, many, many times because I think it is just great, and I never once thought anything else than
Spoiler:
the wife intentionally put the razor blades into the pie
because she was tired of his grumpy shit. Warms my heart every time i see it.

I miss October already.