Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Monster Squad" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 29

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Monster Squad (1987)

IMDB PAGE

Selected by ViewAskewbian.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

Old 10-28-10, 11:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: "The Monster Squad" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 29

Bump for today's film. Starting my DVD now.
Old 10-29-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Monster Squad > The Goonies.

That is all.
Old 10-29-10, 10:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Monster Squad > The Goonies.

That is all.
Completely agree.

In fact, I think The Goonies is one of the most overrated films of all-time. I challenge an adult to see it for the first time and like it. Bunch of whiny kids that I kept hoping would get killed. I'm convinced the only people who like it saw it as kids and are blinded by nostalgia. It's subject matter should be right up my alley, but it is painful to watch.
Old 10-29-10, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinchers of power on both you guy's jugulars!

But anyway, Monster Squad is still one of the coolest monster ensemble films. Stan Winston's creatures are still great, although Dracula seems a little too Munsters than monsters. Time has made the movie seem overly politically incorrect, but the kids in the film are no different than kids today, it's just that film today filters the kid out of the kid to maximize the audience and their $10 bills.

I would love to frame by frame the treehouse scenes to try and find all the movie references. This film is to horror in the way Last Action Hero is to action, it just plays up the mythos while paying its respects to it's genre's lineage.
Old 10-30-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Fairly fun film is sort of like The Goonies crossed with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. It's enjoyable, but it's certainly not as good as I had hoped it would be. I don't know why I don't like it more, but the complete lack of depth to the characters may be one reason. I really like how the Wolfman reassembles himself after he's been blown up, however. It's an okay Saturday afternoon kind of film.
Old 11-01-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I feel enlightened now with these comments putting Goonies in persective. I've never been able to put my finger on it 'till now. This movie is everything that one wanted to be.
Old 10-26-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Bump as i finally got this on bluray and watched it again for first time in 20+ years (ackk). Sure it's dated but I love it (and agree it's better than the annoying Goonies). Forgot how awesome Stan Winston's monster designs are. It's interesting that the plucky gang of outcast kid/kids fight evil genre seems dead now - other than Super 8 which was a homage, are movies like this in tone, Goonies, Stand By Me, War Games, ET, Last Starfighter etc made anymore? Or maybe they are and I'm 41 now and out of the demographic.
Old 10-27-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Bump as i finally got this on bluray and watched it again for first time in 20+ years (ackk). Sure it's dated but I love it (and agree it's better than the annoying Goonies). Forgot how awesome Stan Winston's monster designs are. It's interesting that the plucky gang of outcast kid/kids fight evil genre seems dead now - other than Super 8 which was a homage, are movies like this in tone, Goonies, Stand By Me, War Games, ET, Last Starfighter etc made anymore? Or maybe they are and I'm 41 now and out of the demographic.
You aren't missing anything, that period of time when kids became popular protagonists in horror is largely gone today. I would say the '80s were the zenith of that theme.

I like this movie, it's a great bag of fun for fans of older horror films. Though I think it's sacrilegious comparing this film to The Goonies. That movie is the quintessential kids' adventure pic.