Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Demons" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 22

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Demons (1985)

IMDB PAGE

Selected by Undeadcow.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

Old 10-20-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Demons" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 22

Demons is one of my personal favorites for it's visceral horror splashes and trancelike film comes to life motif. I checked out the commentary track tonight (it's not great) and here's some highlights (spoiled if you want to hear the commentary yourself)...

Spoiler:

- The metal masked character giving out theather tickets and seen at the end of the film's mask was designed to mirror the demon mask. The commentary does not clear up his role in the demon spree.
- The film was intended to be "violent."
- Demons were used to intentionally avoid the popular zombies. The main difference between demons and zombies according to Lamberto Bava is "speed." Demons are "schizophrenic and fast paced... cartoon-like" versus slow zombies.
- The Tony 'the Pimp' character actually has a very thick italian accent despite what might be expected from his appearance.
- One theme of Demons, Demons 2, and The Church is that "demons are everwhere in society."
- It's suggested that the demon characters in this film are being "exploited" rather than exploiting (?).
- Question: "Why was there a helicopter over the theather? Answer: "Because I liked the idea" ["...to give an idea of what was happening outside"].
- At the end it's stated the intention is there are other humans left.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-20-10 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the man with the metal mask is played by Michele Soavi, director of Cemetery Man, Stage Fright, etc. and assistant director of this film and some Dario Argento movies.

This is just a good silly gory horror movie with a thin plot but it's entertaining. The second one isn't as good but it's worth seeing if you liked this one too.
Old 10-23-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

What happens when Italian filmmakers decide to throw The Evil Dead, The Terminator, and American Ninja into a big pot and stir? Why, this film, of course! There's not an original idea to be seen in Demons (it also takes cues from Black Sunday and Dawn of the Dead), but it's still a rip-roaring good time. Lots of blood and pus are on display as the Italian makeup guys finally learn about latex appliances. The bizarrely eclectic soundtrack features Accept, Motley Crue, and...Go West. Go figure. As the SNL beer parody jingle for Spud says, "Just put your brain on hold" and you'll have an excellent time.
Old 10-23-10, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

I wish part 2 was more of a direct sequel to this one, kind of like a Dawn of the Dead except with Demons in Italy.
Old 10-23-10, 09:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Demons is one of my personal favorites for it's visceral horror splashes and trancelike film comes to life motif.
I enjoyed those aspects of it too, but lost a little interest in the final act. The motorcycle scene dosn't work at all imo, and took me out of the film.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I checked out the commentary track tonight (it's not great)
Yeah, not a great track, but some nice nuggets.
Originally Posted by statcat
the man with the metal mask is played by Michele Soavi, director of Cemetery Man, Stage Fright, etc. and assistant director of this film and some Dario Argento movies.
Love seeing all the connections in film history.
Originally Posted by rbrown498
The bizarrely eclectic soundtrack features Accept, Motley Crue, and...Go West. Go figure.
Didn't I hear Rick Springfield in there too?
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I wish part 2 was more of a direct sequel to this one, kind of like a Dawn of the Dead except with Demons in Italy.
I don't think I'll find time for finding the sequel this month, but I'll hopefully remember to watch it next year.
Old 10-23-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great film, fun watch. Thanks for all of the observations above!
Old 10-23-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this movie so much. I think Argento's influence on L. Bava is pretty heavy in this one.
Old 10-25-10, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the Italians! Fantastic, over the top gore fest. Loved the bike and sword routine, but I don't think Peter Jackson's lawn mower is ever going to be topped. I also thought the snorting Coke joke was priceless.