DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Smash Cut" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/580391-smash-cut-reviews-discussion-2010-horror-challenge-day-19-a.html)

Chad 10-07-10 08:40 PM

"Smash Cut" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 19

<BR>
Smash Cut (2009)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/SmashCut.jpg

IMDB PAGE

Selected by ViewAskewbian.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

<BR>

Undeadcow 10-15-10 10:15 AM

Re: "Smash Cut" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 19

Fun film once I realized it wasn't supposed to be serious. Putting a cheap toupee on Michael Berryman? Genius! I wish I was more familiar with H.G. Lewis films so I would have caught more of the homages but Smash Cut had a nice cult gore vibe with some clever jabs at the genre. As a comedy it was fun.

Trevor 10-19-10 07:47 AM

Loved the premise. Hated the execution.

Russell S 10-19-10 04:24 PM

I watched this one last week and loved every minute of it. Easily my favorite first time viewing of this challenge, and definitely one I'm going to give another spin once the month is over.

Burgundy LaRue 10-19-10 07:56 PM

What a hoot! It's a good gore comedy. I didn't catch all the homages to GH Lewis, but I grasped the basic concept. David Hess is a riot throughout the movie. It was clearly made with love and respect. That's all you can ask for in a film like this. It seems that everyone had a great time making the movie. As long as you treat it as the comedy it is, it's an enjoyable watch.

Undeadcow 10-19-10 08:08 PM

It's silly and maybe I'm just a total dork but did anyone else think Sasha Grey's character was a homage to April O'Neil from the 1980s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon (Same first name, both have odd yellow coat at first, both reporters)? I know, totally extreme differences between genres...

Burgundy LaRue 10-19-10 08:20 PM

^^^This movie is just wacky enough to do that, I think. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

rbrown498 10-19-10 10:26 PM

Homage to the films of Herschell Gordon Lewis (and The Gore-Gore Girls in particular) is easily the worst film I've watched so far in the Challenge, and quite possibly the worst film I've seen in several years. In fact, I don't recall hating a film this much since I saw my least favorite film of all time, Rob Zombie's desecration of Halloween. It was such a grueling experience that I had to turn the TV off for the night after viewing it, afraid that the ill will that the film engendered in me would rub off on any film that followed it. That the director was able to coerce H. G. (and Michael Berryman and Ray Sager and David Hess) into being in the film can only speak of the need for money that these thespians so obviously had. By the looks of the film, they couldn't have walked away with very much cash after debasing themselves so badly. At first, Smash Cut elicited in me neither fright nor laughs, but by the end of the film I was feeling a definite sense of anger. It's one of those films that make me think that the filmmakers were having a better time making the film than any audience could ever have watching the final product. I can't come up with any adjectives to accurately describe the film, so these will have to do: stupid and loathsome.

rbrown498 10-19-10 10:48 PM

Sorry, but the rant is still raging within me, and I have to respond to a few observations posted so far. Please don't take anything I say personally, because it's not meant that way. Like I said above, the only emotion this film made me feel was anger. I just don't understand how anyone could think that anything about this travesty was clever. I didn't laugh once--in fact, I never even smiled. The film is just one big fanboy self-congratulatory love fest. It's the celluloid equivalent of a Monty Python fan spending an hour and a half saying "NI!" to anyone who approaches him. I didn't get any feelings of respect, either. The feeling I got was more along the lines of "Lewis's films are stupid, but I can make one that's even more brain dead. Won't THAT be a riot?"

I don't know...the feeling I've been left with is that of buying a CD featuring The Countdown Singers rather than getting the real thing. And it's an empty feeling indeed.

cproaps 10-20-10 12:49 AM

I really loved the cinematography and the Lost Highway meets They Call Me Trinity music mash up, but didn't like the movie itself. I know it was a labor of love, but with that much blind adoration you get things like Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Dick Laurent 10-20-10 08:10 AM

This was a lot of fun. Probably one of the better homage/tribute films I've ever seen. And the fact that HGL was in it as well was a terrific treat.

I found it a joy that the filmmakers were able to draft such a great, fun, gore-drenched film. And I thought the execution was perfect. It had the rhythm and feel of HGL, but with some personal additions that I thought served the film well. The whole bus-kill scene was so much fun. It's funny that Grey actually acts better in her "other" movies (the more story/dialogue driven ones) than this one. But that felt more like it was on purpose, really.

I'll be watching this again for sure (after the Challenge, or course).