DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Tourist Trap" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/580390-tourist-trap-reviews-discussion-2010-horror-challenge-day-18-a.html)

Chad 10-07-10 08:38 PM

"Tourist Trap" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 18

<BR>
Tourist Trap (1979)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ouristTrap.jpg

IMDB PAGE

Selected by NoirFan.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

<BR>

Undeadcow 10-18-10 01:28 AM

Re: "Tourist Trap" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 18

I didn't expect Tourist Trap to be as intense as it was but it ended up being a lot of schlocky fun and I loved the psychological aspects at the end. With the wax house being so cluttered and cinematoraphy so dark parts felt beautifully claustrophopic. In a way I feel bad for liking something so derivative ripping off Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and House of Wax. Part of what made it work was that it's so shamelessly cheap. The end scene with Molly driving around her wax friends adds a lot of depth to the film.

cproaps 10-18-10 03:02 PM

Now that was a strange ride. Chuck Conners was creepy and seeing Tanya Roberts pre The Beastmaster was really intersting. I liked how they never really explained how he could do what he did, and how the figures could become "real" again was a cool touch. I don't know for sure, but if I had to bet, I would say that the success of Magic the year before led to this production.

SterlingBen 10-18-10 07:57 PM

Great location and cast but the telekinesis aspect just didn't do it for me. It would have been much scarier and more suspenseful without it.

Trevor 10-18-10 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10436978)
The end scene with Molly driving around her wax friends adds a lot of depth to the film.

Originally Posted by cproaps (Post 10437916)
Now that was a strange ride. Chuck Conners was creepy and seeing Tanya Roberts pre The Beastmaster was really intersting. I don't know for sure, but if I had to bet, I would say that the success of Magic the year before led to this production.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10438325)
Great location and cast but the telekinesis aspect just didn't do it for me. It would have been much scarier and more suspenseful without it.

What they said.

rbrown498 10-18-10 11:42 PM

Creepy little film from the early days of the Full Moon/Empire empire. A group of young people happen upon Slausen's Lost Oasis, a tourist trap in the middle of nowhere. There they find Chuck Connors and a gazillion mannequins. Film doesn't make a lick of sense, but it has some good atmosphere and a memorable score from the (almost) always reliable Pino Donnagio. While the script has more than its share of problems, Tourist Trap is still evidence that a low budget doesn't have to hamper the imaginations of filmmakers. Most surprising credit: Ron Underwood, director of Tremors and City Slickers, was the assistant director. I've always thought that this would make the perfect film for a sleepover party for 10-year-old girls--it's rated PG (contrary to what the DVD box states), doesn't have a lot of blood, and has those uber-creepy mannequins (who make a truly nightmarish noise). I'll bet that there wouldn't be a lot of sleep at a sleepover after THIS movie.

Dick Laurent 10-19-10 12:09 PM

I thought I was watching Death Bed II when it first started off.

NoirFan 10-19-10 02:11 PM

This is also on YouTube here for those who don't have Netflix.

Undeadcow 10-19-10 05:04 PM

Given the ending, do you think maybe her friends were wax the whole time (and never real people)?

ViewAskewbian 10-20-10 01:05 PM

When Carrie met Leatherface. Tourist Trap, while taking a lot from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (including a mask which looks nearly identical at times), managers to hold it’s own in the fright factor being just peculiar enough to skitter around some of the more campy aspects. As is generally the case here you have your group of idiot young people lining up for the slaughter. The successes of these films are judged by their villain and our baddy in this one is a nice combo of Tobe Hooper and David Lynch. The set design is nice and creepy what with all the Kim Catrell`s all over the place and though some have blighted the film for the more supernatural elements that is what I liked the most. It added an air of difference to what could have been just another Kids Enter Spooky Home And Meet The Inevitable movie. Though the twist is a bit predictable, the set up is nice. I like when things go unexplained in horror movies and this one doesn’t reveal why our demented nut can do what he can do but allows us to dwell upon it. His `powers` also give more for the victims to have to overcome. If Carrie can take out an entire prom then how can these kids escape?

Jpuck 07-21-11 03:24 PM

Creepy really is the perfect word to describe this film. People always compare it to TCM...

If the TCM makers were on an acid trip, then yes.

Such a strange horror film. But very good nonetheless............