Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"My Bloody Valentine" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 17

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

IMDB PAGE

Selected by Jerpuffs.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

Old 10-17-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: "My Bloody Valentine" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 17

Although I've seen bits and pieces of this film over the years, this was the first time I actually sat and watched the entire thing. It's a good, solid slasher flick, with more atmosphere than most (due to the mine setting). Eviscerated by the ratings board, it's now available with all the gory bits reinstated. I watched the original theatrical version, however, as I wanted to experience what filmgoers would have seen in 1981. I enjoyed it, although the Canadian accents that came out every so often ("about" sounding like "a boat," for example) took me out of the film a little bit. And why did almost every slasher film feel the need to have one character who was an obnoxious joker?
Old 10-18-10, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented this last year and really liked it. Got the Blu-ray yesterday and watched it tonight and still loved it. I went to IMDB to see what the song was during the closing credits and got to reading about an unrated version. I figured the Blu-ray was the unrated, so I flipped the case over and saw the R logo. I was kinda let down but then saw a disclaimer on the back that said you could watch deleted scenes seperately or as part of the movie! Back to the main menu I went and hit play and saw where I had the option to watch theatrical or extended. Don't know how I absent-mindedly missed THAT. Played the unrated extended version and WOW, that's got to be the biggest change in a movie since I first saw the extended version of Aliens. Mabel in the dryer has got to be the biggest edit of all time! Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Old 10-18-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

One of the few movies that I prefer the remake of. Watched this one about a year ago and it did nothing for me. Paint by numbers slasher that was dull and moved too slowly for my tastes.

My rating: ** out of *****
Old 10-18-10, 12:26 AM

I saw this film years ago and remember it being a decent little slasher flick and now I'm happy to see that it holds up to how I remember it. I'm not too fond of the ending but I think the rest of the film holds up pretty well.
Old 10-18-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Like rbrown498, this was my first time seeing the whole thing from beginning to end (I tried watching this when IFC last showed it, but I passed out) Ended up being yet another slasher that turned out a bit better than I imagined.

Since I was stuck watching the R-edit, I pulled up a compilation of the unrated clips over at youtube and "Filled in the gaps" with my viewing of the whole movie on the 'puter. Worked out quite nice! But along with Friday 13th-Part VII, this has to be one of the most butchered slashers ever. BTW, I don't think I've ever heard so many country tunes playing in a slasher before.
Old 10-18-10, 10:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I watched the DVD. I take it that it's the R rated cut only? Interesting to hear about the editing. I might seek out the BD someday.

It's an average film for me, nothing special, like Brian said, a little too paint-by-numbers. Perhaps if this was one of the first slashers I saw I'd like it more, but since I never saw it until a year or two ago, it's all old hat.
Old 10-18-10, 11:16 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I watched the DVD. I take it that it's the R rated cut only? Interesting to hear about the editing. I might seek out the BD someday.
The most recent DVD release (with the miner breaking a heart on the cover) is the same as the Blu-Ray (except for the AV quality, of course) and has the option to watch it with the unrated scenes. You may have an older release though.

I saw this movie for the first time when the Special Edition came out last year. Not a masterpiece by any means, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. I actually liked how it was focused on older, working class characters rather than young-ins like most slashers, and the mine setting worked pretty well. The Canadian-ness of it was entertaining (yes, you will be hearing the actors break out an "aboot" from time to time). And the gore in the unedited cut is fairly insane at times.
Old 10-19-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first time watching as well. I liked it, but it was rather by-the-numbers. But that's fine for the majority of horror.

I think they did a good job making it feel like you're peeking into a real, small-town community. I also was half expecting some Ice Road Truckers to show up at some point (being in Canada and all).
Old 10-19-10, 07:37 PM

I like this movie. If you've seen a lot of slasher films, then nothing here will surprise you. But it does a solid job of creating some tension as to who the killer is. Everyone felt real and the location was great. The kills are still pretty interesting. It's an above-average slasher for its time. Not a classic, but a strong cult favorite.
Old 10-21-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a couple days late to the party, but I watched this earlier this week and enjoyed it. I would have sworn that I saw this when it was released in the theater, but I remembered absolutely nothing about it and think I must have it confused with something else released around that time. Nothing really revolutionary or new here, just a solid early eighties slasher that was obviously meant to be a franchise that never developed.

I also watched the blu-ray theatrical version and completely missed the extended cut. I went back and watched the deleted scenes and must agree, they would up the gore factor two fold. I will have to go back and watch the extended cut sometime, maybe for the challenge next year.
Old 10-22-10, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, My Bloody Valentine is a slasher that gets less impressive with each viewing. Hell, I haven't even gotten around to viewing the unrated cut yet. At one point, I wanted it uncut more than any of the F13 flicks. How times have changed. A friend of mine wanted to see the movie a while back and we both had a laugh at how bad the guy playing TJ is. The fight scene between he and Axel comes off as particularly poor. I don't know, the film nowadays just bores me more than anything.
Old 10-23-10, 08:00 AM

I enjoyed My Bloody Valentine when I was younger and it has its place as a classic in 80's slasher, but like previously mentioned it gets less impressive with each viewing. The unrated cut has some nice additions, but they didn't really help the film much.
Old 10-23-10, 10:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The new DVD is at Walmart for $7.50 if anyone is interested. I'll probably pick it up used someday for a couple bucks, since I'm becoming somewhat of a horror completest.