Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Salvage" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 8

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Salvage (2009)

IMDB PAGE

Selected by Chad.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

Old 10-08-10, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Salvage" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 8

No discussion on this? I just watched it and thought it was pretty decent. I always tend to enjoy extreme government cover ups though it scares the shit out of me.
Old 10-09-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I checked this out a few days ago and was amazed but how good it was considering the lower end production values and lack of any reputation. I enjoyed the mysterious events and the fact that the ongoings were explained only in narration and the "monster" never clearly shown for long. Parts of Salvage preceed similar threads in The Signal (but I think are more suspenseful in Salvage). There's no punches pulled at the end. I thought the bit about the daughter being resentful over the estranged mother was a bit forced but it helped drive the characters.
Old 10-09-10, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't really do much for me. At 75 minutes, it really needed a bit more to it. And quite frankly, a lot of it didn't make any sense. I know the budget was miniscule, and it was shot quickly, but still...
Old 10-09-10, 08:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Absolutely loved it. Thought it had a fantastic and fairly original premise/story, fine acting, and nice tension throughout. Amazed that they did so much with so little.

Edit to add: Wait. Crap. I watched the wrong damn film.
Old 10-09-10, 08:32 AM

Is this what you watched? I'm kind of curious to see it now.
Old 10-09-10, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by takingchase
Is this what you watched? I'm kind of curious to see it now.
Yes, I highly recommend it. It is on a BD double pack with something called Mortuary, for $10 iirc.

I'm searching for the correct film now.
Old 10-09-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it. Proved to be quite a surprise, took a real quick turn after the fun father/daughter segment. I loved how the filmakers had free range in that little village/suburb.

My biggest gripe: Why didn't they kill Jodie at the end? Weren't they killing everyone to keep them quiet? Doesn't make any sense that they would stop at the end. I also watched the commentary for the end, and they eluded that she did survive, and that her mom sacrificed herself for her daughter. They didn't even seem to leave it open.

Good watch, though.
Old 10-09-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

As we begin this film with a father and his daughter in a car I didn’t quite know where we were going. For somebody who has seen as many horror flicks as I have, this is a good thing. Take me in one direction and then slam me into a brick wall that veers me in another. The low budget Salvage has an excellently executed set up as we the audience experience the unknown with the characters as early on the film plays upon our more recent fears in society. Hard to talk about this one without giving anything away, save to say that each time I thought I knew what was going to happen I was wrong. Like other films watched in this challenge, I feel I can overlook some plot issues when the subject matter is engrossing enough. Like Burning Bright, this film has a well acted female lead and creates suspense with its of pop frights. I enjoyed the dual villains of this movie as I created more a sense of dread. Who you think is there to save is actually a greater enemy then the one you have been running from. They are all out to get you.
Old 10-09-10, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, I highly recommend it. It is on a BD double pack with something called Mortuary, for $10 iirc.

I'm searching for the correct film now.
It's funny even after reading the imdb synopsis I didn't realize that I actually own this movie untill you mentioned it being a blu ray double feature. I guess I have no excuse not to check it out now.
Old 10-09-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I wasn't expecting much with this one, but it's one of the best films I've seen in a while. It starts slow, but it kicks in pretty hard after about 10 minutes and doesn't let up after that. If you haven't seen it, it's probably best to come to it as I did, without knowing anything about it. Put it in your Netflix queue. Thanks for picking it, Chad!
Old 10-09-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I suppose I picked this because it reminded me of The Crazies, only more suspenseful and on a much smaller scale ...with a "zombie" thrown in for good measure. And the cul-de-sac setting really had a claustrophobic feeling about it. At 75 minutes it's short, but very tense and keeps you guessing throughout.
Old 10-10-10, 07:25 AM

I ended up finding the right film. While I much prefer Salvage (2006), this Salvage was quite good as well. Nothing really to add to what many of you have already said, I also enjoyed the uncertainty of what was going on and the claustrophobic feeling.
Old 10-10-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't get that claustrophobic feeling. It had the opposite effect on me. I felt more like the situation was too big, and there wasn't anywhere safe, until the end, that is.
Old 10-10-10, 09:33 PM

It reminded me of watching Cube. They moved from small place to small place not having a clue as to what was going on, but knew that death was around any corner at any time. Nice misdirect making you think the neighbor was the killer and they moved in for the arrest only to then keep the sequence going and completely disorienting you.
Old 10-14-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Chalk me up as another that really enjoyed this flick. I like how you think the main character is the daughter, then they switch it to the mom. You think the military is there to save them, then you find they are running from the military as much as the strange monster running around.

I was very impressed with the amount of character development they squeezed into a scant 75 minute low budget thriller. You actually feel for the two main characters and their situation. My only complaints...lame looking monster when you finally see it and not killing the daughter at the end. At least give me a gunshot sound or something. Nice practical effects and even a pair of boobies to boot.

My rating: ****1/2 out of *****
Old 10-18-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the movie and found it to be a very tense viewing exeprience. Excellent performance by the actress who played the mum. Grade: B+.
Old 10-22-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Absolutely loved it. Thought it had a fantastic and fairly original premise/story, fine acting, and nice tension throughout. Amazed that they did so much with so little.

Edit to add: Wait. Crap. I watched the wrong damn film.
I watched this last night and was very impressed with it. No budget to speak of and the acting is usually poor at times but the story kept me interested throughout and the killer was super creepy in his main scenes in the beginning.

I will spoiler any discussion of the plot since this isn't the Salvage in the main post.

Spoiler:
I really enjoyed how it was basically a mix of Sixth Sense and Groundhog Day. The reveal at the end was really well done. I kind of suspected it but I also thought they could have ended it several different ways. I was pleased with the ending they chose.

Anyway, like Trevor, I definitely recommend the 2006 Salvage as well. While I didn't like it quite as much as this Salvage, they are completely different films and have nothing in common whatsoever.

My rating: **** out of *****