Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (August 30th) - Magic

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-31-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Magic (1978)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by DarthVong.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Academy AwardŽ-winner Anthony Hopkins (SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) is Corky, a painfully shy, failed magician who finds overnight success as a ventriloquist. His brash, foul-mouthed dummy, Fats, becomes a huge nightclub hit. With his star on the rise, talent agent Ben Greene (Burgess Meredith) arranges an important shot at national TV. But the pressure of failing the network's required physical sends Corky into a panic. With Fats in tow, he flees the city to a nearly-deserted resort in the Catskills run by the love of his youth, Peggy Ann Snow (Ann-Margret).

Peg's spent years trapped in a loveless marriage with her high-school sweetheart, Duke. In Corky, she sees the chance for a loving relationship and accepts an offer to run away with him. After they make love, Corky confides to Fats that he may leave show business altogether. Fats becomes furious and lashes out at him, playing on his guilt and insecurity. Now under Fats' control, Corky is manipulated into a series of violent and unexpected confrontations.

Based on the best-selling novel by William Goldman and directed by Sir Richard Attenborough (A BRIDGE TOO FAR, GANDHI), MAGIC's stellar performances and shocking conclusion make for gripping suspense from beginning to end.

FUN FACTS
Sir Laurence Olivier was set to play Ben Green, but had to drop out due to illness.

The role of Corky was originally offered to Jack Nicholson, but upon hearing that he would have to wear a hairpiece to play the role, Nicholson turned it down.

The "Fats" dummy was created specifically to look like Anthony Hopkins.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Old 09-16-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (August 30th) - Magic

Really surprised no one has posted anything on this movie yet.

I rented a copy thru Netflix and was pleasantly surprised with a nice transfer. The last time I watched this movie was many years ago with a borrowed VHS pan and scan transfer that was so dark you could barely make out what was going on onscreen.

Anyway, this movie scared the ever-loving shit out of me as a child. It seems like it would come on all the time on WGN or some local TV station and I always wandered into it once the dummy was stabbing Duke. And man was that dummy creepy looking. Still is today but for some reason no chill bumps for me this time. The movie doesn't seem to have aged very well even though the acting is quite good.

Hopkins quick descent into madness is well done and highly believable. The only thing I call bullshit on is the awful love scene and terrible chemistry between Ann Margaret and Anthony Hopkins. It just never seems remotely believable (especially after his wacky first impression when trying to read her card).

There is a really nice 30 minute dummy movie/Magic history that is well done and quite interesting on the dvd. It actually hits all the high points in the film and answers a lot of questions.

Well done film but not as creepy if you aren't an impressionable 10 year old anymore.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****