Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (August 2nd) - Puppet Master

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-01-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Puppet Master (1989)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Netflix Watch Instantly Link

Selected by Mister Peepers.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Alex Whitaker and three other gifted psychics are investigating rumors that the secret of life has been discovered by master puppeteer Andre Toulon.
But the psychics quickly discover Toulon's secret of death in the form of five killer puppets, each one uniquely qualified for murder and mayhem.
Tunneler has a nasty habit for boring holes in people with his drill bit head. Ms. Leech regurgitates killer leeches that suck her victims dry.
Pinhead strangles his enemies with his powerful vice-like hands.
Blade has a gleaming hook for one hand and a razor-sharp knife for the other.
And Jester, the ruthless brains of the bunch, is absolutely merciless.
Together, they're an army of skilled assassins, diabolically programmed to guard the deadly secrets of the Puppet Master.

FUN FACTS
The puppet, Blade, is based on one of David Schmoeller's favorite actors, Klaus Kinski.

Originally intended to be released into theaters in the summer of 1989 and onto home video in September 1989, it was then pushed to 12 October 1989 as a direct-to-video release.
Producer Charles Band had stated in an interview that he would make more money in the DTV field than he would in the theatrical market.

In the finger-slicing scene, the blood was dyed green to avoid an "X" rating.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Last edited by Chad; 08-01-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-01-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (August 2nd) - Puppet Master

This one wasn't a favorite of mine back when I first started watching them but I pulled out my uncut version and it was a lot better than I remembered. Also, while the uncut doesn't have that much more, the extra graphic kills was noticeable.

One thing that's bothered me is how in the third movie they explain who Blade is based off of. That's fine and dandy except the old traveling show poster, has a graphic of mephisto, which is Blade in a different outfit.

Wrong poster, btw.
Old 08-01-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^Fixed. Also added the Netflix streaming link.
Old 08-01-10, 10:25 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I watched this one a day early. I've seen this before but it was still very enjoyable. I personally think that they should have went with a theatrical release because this movie was good enough to spawn a theatrical series. It is also nice that it fits with the animation challenge going on. A very good selection for this month.
Old 08-05-10, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

This one has so much nolstagia to add to it, and brings up some good memories. I remember sleeping over my friends when I was 10 and renting this. Def, still provides some good moments, but not to the same level it used to for me. Anyway, it's still a classic IMO and deserves it's spot in horror infamy, 5/10
Old 08-08-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

For someone to like this movie must only be due to the nostalgia factor. I streamed it on Netflix (a pretty crummy 4:3 transfer by the way) but that really had no effect on my opinion of it. Saw it as a teenager when it was originally released but had no love for it then. Seeing it again, I completely understand why.

The storyline is completely nonsensical. The acting is terrible. The effects are horrible. The sound effects are played for laughs. This movie has little to no horror or scary moments at all in it and seems to be more of a dark comedy than anything else. But even then it is only funny because of how bad it is. I will admit that it does have some bizarre charm as I never felt pressure to hit the fast forward button, but all in all, this is a terrible movie that does not deserve it's cult status.

It was funny seeing Paul Le Mat in the movie. He is the best actor in the film and even he is terrible in it. The fight scene at the end was so awesomely bad that it gives the best laughs in the movie. Watch this movie at your own risk...of boredom.

My rating: ** out of *****
Old 09-06-10, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think the basic plot is awesome but as we all know the execution didn't measure up. A modernized remake with nearly everything revamped could still be pretty cool IMO. I remember seeing Paul LeMat at the Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernardino at the Pharaohs car club stand one year and wishing I had my copy for him to sign.