Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mister Ed: The Complete Third Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Mister Ed: The Complete Third Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=42264 and...

I really thought the slight dip in quality of season 3 of Mister Ed seemed to have a lot more to do with main writer Lou Derman missing the first 3 months of the season then the show starting to go down hill. I have always noticed that episodes he didn't write were always a little less funny. I think he is there 100% on future seasons and the show picks up again.
Old 07-17-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Mister Ed: The Complete Third Season'

Good info to look for next season, although some of the ones he penned here still didn't seem to quite hit the mark.
Old 07-17-10, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
Good info to look for next season, although some of the ones he penned here still didn't seem to quite hit the mark.
It was my least favorite season too. There just didn't seem to be that many classic episodes (though it did have "The Price of Apples"), but most of my favorites are in future seasons. I even thought the last few episodes of the final season that were directed by Alan Young were some of the best.
Old 07-22-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I am grateful for Paul reviewing this set, I was a little disappointed he did not mention Larry Keaton's passing during this season, and the way the writers had to scamble to fill scenes in the final dozen shows, that would have obviously been played by Addison. Bringing in Kay's brother full time was not a good fit, nor the unexplained departed of her husband.
Old 07-22-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you might be a little confused....

First, it's Larry Keating, not "Keaton."

And Larry Keating died August 23rd, 1963...that would be at or during the beginning of the filming of the fourth season's episodes. This third season's last episode aired May 12th, 1963...a full three months before Keating's death (and obviously, in the can even earlier than that, since that particular episode was out of production order. The last episode in production order for Season Three aired in March...that's five months before Keating's death).

He's here during these episodes--no "unexplained departure."

And Kay's brother only shows up once this season...with Keating.

So no need to be disappointed in me.

Last edited by Paul Mavis; 07-22-10 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
I think you might be a little confused....

First, it's Larry Keating, not "Keaton."

And Larry Keating died August 23rd, 1963...that would be at or during the beginning of the filming of the fourth season's episodes. This third season's last episode aired May 12th, 1963...a full three months before Keating's death (and obviously, in the can even earlier than that, since that particular episode was out of production order. The last episode in production order for Season Three aired in March...that's five months before Keating's death).

He's here during these episodes--no "unexplained departure."

And Kay's brother only shows up once this season...with Keating.

So no need to be disappointed in me.
It seems like Alan Young has mentioned that they found out that Keating could no longer continue on the show during the L.A. Dodger episode that was the first episode of the 4th season. It is the 4th season when they brought back Jack Albertson for a few episodes as Addison's brother-in-law to fill in until they could replace Keating.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 07-22-10 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mistake...thought the Colonel and his wife was introduced in the fourth season, not the fifth.
Old 07-23-10, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Falc04
My mistake...thought the Colonel and his wife was introduced in the fourth season, not the fifth.
They were introduced in the 4th season. Who said they were introduced in the 5th?