Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-13-10, 01:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I read Cameron McGaughy's DVD review of Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43245 and...

I noticed a (very) minor factual error. Cameron mentions that Brad Renfro was replaced by Jason Ritter in "Freddy Vs. Jason" because he passed away early in filming. That's not true. Brad Renfro didn't pass away until 2008. He was definitely replaced by Jason in the FvJ movie in 2003, but for other, unconfirmed reasons.
Old 07-13-10, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy'

Aside from the error mentioned above, I'll add that I actually pulled up this review just a few days ago and he's done a thorough job on it. I just blind bought this DVD based on the strong reviews in this forum (haven't watched it yet), and this review has caused me to be even more excited to dig into it.
Old 07-13-10, 01:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^totally agree. The review made this a must-buy for me.
Old 07-13-10, 08:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
^totally agree. The review made this a must-buy for me.
This.
Old 07-13-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I read Cameron McGaughy's DVD review of Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43245 and...

I noticed a (very) minor factual error. Cameron mentions that Brad Renfro was replaced by Jason Ritter in "Freddy Vs. Jason" because he passed away early in filming. That's not true. Brad Renfro didn't pass away until 2008. He was definitely replaced by Jason in the FvJ movie in 2003, but for other, unconfirmed reasons.
D'oh! I must have been have asleep during that segment...8 hours will do that to a reviewer :-) Fixed!
Old 07-17-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a must have flick if you are a fan of any of the nightmare films. Very good review.
What's funny is that it made want to rewatch part 2 for the first time in 20 years since i didn't pick up on any of the (which after watching the doc, it seems apparently clear) homo-erotic overtones when i was 14.
I enjoyed the Halloween and F13 docs but this really does put them to shame, which is really saying something.
Old 07-22-10, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job with the review. I agree with everything you said. I've already watched the whole thing twice. A few thoughts of my own:

Isn't it funny how people had such a problem with the idea of bringing Freddy into the real world in part 2, but they don't complain about Freddy's bones coming to life in part 3?

I really wish they had scored interviews with Johnny Depp and Patricia Arquette. How cool would it be to hear their thoughts on the movies? Especially considering they were their first movies.

WTF is wrong with Tuesday Knight's face???

The documentary does a great job explaining why the sequels got worse and worse. New Line spent as little money as possible ("we hired Renny Harlin because he was cheap") and rushed the movies out as quickly as possible. As a Nightmare fan, it kind of pisses me off. The Nightmare franchise made New Line successful, and they treated each movie like a direct-to-DVD sequel.