DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of 'Kolchak - The Night Stalker' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/576076-dvd-talk-review-kolchak-night-stalker.html)

Troy Thomas 07-05-10 06:17 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Kolchak - The Night Stalker'

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Kolchak - The Night Stalker at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18163 and...

I was pretty ticked. First of all, "Kolchak" was a much better show than Galbraith says. But the bigger point for me was that this set skipped liked crazy, just like the "Alfred Hitchcock" sets did. I did not own a copy of the set; my dad does, and he's bought other copies of it over and over again, as well as these fancy disc-and-player cleaners, in hopes of stopping the skips. Well, I'm glad it isn't our fault, I'll have to tell my dad this. But the thing that made my blood boil was that Galbraith's set played perfectly. The discs may have come from Taiwan, but they're skipping as bad as, and even worse than, the sets that come from Mexico.

My Other Self 07-05-10 06:25 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Kolchak - The Night Stalker'

This review is five years old and everyone knows the double-pressed Universal discs were problems in most but not all DVD players at the time.

And you're mad that his set doesn't skip in his setup... because he didn't care for the show? :lol:

Classic.

Kurt D 07-05-10 09:43 PM

In other words, welcome to the forums, Troy! I loved Kolchak as a kid, but I have to agree with Galbraith, it just doesn't hold up aside from the nostalgia standpoint. And remember, there's no statute of limitations for responding to a review. ;)

SkullOrchard 07-05-10 10:58 PM

Why does Troy Thomas have a "0" post count?

Trevor 07-06-10 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard (Post 10249382)
Why does Troy Thomas have a "0" post count?

It's what happens when you click on the "post your thoughts" link at the end of every review, and aren't logged in or create your account right then, iirc.

The zero posts thing was supposed to be fixed at one point, but maybe it's a quirk of the software.

Trevor 07-06-10 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee (Post 10249265)
In other words, welcome to the forums, Troy! I loved Kolchak as a kid, but I have to agree with Galbraith, it just doesn't hold up aside from the nostalgia standpoint. And remember, there's no statute of limitations for responding to a review. ;)

It will likely just be because my sense of nostalgia is greater than most, but I'm hoping to still love the series next time I re-visit it. I too was of the Brady Bunch generation, and caught this series the one season it aired originally. It scared the crap out of me, and is largely responsible for my love of monster movies and shows.

I caught re-runs from time to time, and bought the VHS tapes in the late 1980s or so, but haven't watched the DVDs yet.

Much of the X-Files and Supernatural gives me the Kolchak feeling, currently going through the entire Supernatural series for the DVDTalk Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge.

Straker 07-07-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10249664)
It will likely just be because my sense of nostalgia is greater than most, but I'm hoping to still love the series next time I re-visit it. I too was of the Brady Bunch generation, and caught this series the one season it aired originally. It scared the crap out of me, and is largely responsible for my love of monster movies and shows.

My best friend & I were 12 years old when the show aired, and we loved it as we'd loved the two earlier TV movies. But Kolchak was running opposite Police Woman on NBC, and we were at the age when the appeal of Angie's legs was beginning to outweigh the appeal of headless, sword-wielding bikers. Eventually we abandoned Karl, and I've always felt a little guilty about that.

(BTW, I believe David Chase of The Sopranos wrote that headless biker episode.)