Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Dirty Dancing: Limited Keepsake Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Dirty Dancing: Limited Keepsake Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43558 and...

I really think you guys need to take the extra 30 seconds to proof read your reviews. Mr. Sinnott claims there is no time for such things. I fail to see the urgency in posting a DVD review. Please don't get e wrong: I LOVE THIS SITE and the reviews herein - it's one of my 'always open in a browser' sites - all day every day, but it's really annoying to read the non-sentences, the typos, the 'I ran it through a spell checker but the grammar makes no sense' lines because it's spelled correctly but I used the wrong word, and then there is the laziness of the copying and pasting from one review to another and then not even bothering to edit for context, such as this:

This one-disc release is housed in a standard clear keepcase; no inserts are included, but a film overview and director's statement are printed on the inside.

...and you then go on to talk about the 2 discs, and the non-standard packaging. While it merely annoys me [and likely others that read the site], it makes YOU look bad. And once again, I really can't grasp any need for urgency in a DVD review, at least none that would justify the lack of spending an extra 30-60 seconds to get things right the first time. Please do yourselves the favour and take just a little more care. Respectfully...
Old 05-07-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Dirty Dancing: Limited Keepsake Edition'

I gotta say, I'm mildly disappointed that this thread was started just for an editing issue...I was expecting to be called a moron for not liking the movie.

In any case, the offending paragraph has been corrected. In the future, though, you can always click "E-Mail the Author" and contact us directly...it'll probably get addressed a little quicker (and you won't have to call out poor John!).
Old 05-07-10, 04:25 PM
Defunct Account

I don't recall ever saying that people shouldn't proof their reviews.... or that it took 30- 60 seconds to read a review (especially one of Paul Mavis' reviews.)

Last edited by John Sinnott; 05-07-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zontar
I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Dirty Dancing: Limited Keepsake Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43558 Please don't get e wrong... Please do yourselves the favour and take just a little more care. Respectfully...
These kinds of suggestions are always welcome, but they work better when they're free of errors, as well (unless of course the "favour" one is because you're a limey...and I say that with deep affection from an avowed Anglophile).

And what a gratuitous slap in the face, John...

...you know exactly what I like.
Old 05-08-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,828 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Yeah, plus the OP includes this zinger "Please don't get e wrong."

I mean, shouldn't 'e' be capitalized?

At any rate, the point is taken, but obviously slip-ups do occur!

Old 05-09-10, 02:01 PM

Okay: To quote from an email from Mr. Sinnott when I had previously pointed out the many typos etc and suggested that each review should have another set of eyes read it over before posting:

With a couple hundred DVD, Blu-ray and Theatrical review being published on our site each month, there simply isn't enough hours.

Look, I am obviously coming off as a jerk here, and was suffering from a momentary bout with grouchy old b@stard syndrome. I don't mean to offend, only to make the site all it can be.
And yes - I DO spell things like favour and colour with the letter 'u' in them.
Always have.
I also make the 'French 7s' with a line through them.
Old 05-09-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,828 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Never heard that called the 'French 7' but I do it too! Plus I put a line through my zeroes.