Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (February 22nd) - Misery

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-21-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Misery (1990)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by advdfreak.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Novelist Paul Sheldon (Cann) doesn't remember the blinding blizzard that sent his car spinning off the road.
Nor does he remember being nursed back from unconsciousness.
All he remembers is waking up in the home of Annie Wilkes (Bates) -- a maniacal fan who is bent on keeping her favorite writer as her personal prisoner...for the rest of his 'cock-a-doodie' life!

FUN FACTS: In a recent interview with Melvyn Bragg, William Goldman revealed that few actors wanted the role of Paul Sheldon because Annie Wilks overshadowed him so much as a character.
Warren Beatty, Robert DeNiro, Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Warren Beatty and Robert Redford all turned down the lead role.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Last edited by Chad; 05-02-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (February 22nd) - Misery

A great movie with great performances. Its tense throughout and brutal at times. Deserving of all the praise it gets.
Old 02-23-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The foot scene is still pretty tough to watch. It make you wonder what event in King's life caused him to imagine/write this book (some of his fans must be pretty whacked out).
Old 02-23-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
FUN FACTS: In a recent interview with Melvyn Bragg, William Goldman revealed that few actors wanted the role of Paul Sheldon because Annie Wilks overshadowed him so much as a character.
Warren Beatty, Robert DeNiro, Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Warren Beatty and Robert Redford all turned down the lead role.
Didn't know that. According to imdb.com, some other interesting notes about the film:

Putting this first one as a spoiler since this pertains to a difference between the novel/film:
Spoiler:
In Stephen King's novel "Misery", Annie cuts off Paul's foot to prevent him from escaping. Screenwriter William Goldman has stated that the reason he decided to adapt the book to film was because of this gruesome scene and the effect it would have on the audience. However, Rob Reiner and Andrew Scheinman's script revision changed the method of torture to Paul getting his ankles broken with a sledgehammer. Goldman was opposed to the change until viewing the film.

Also, Kathy Bates reportedly was disappointed that a scene was cut in which she kills a young police officer by rolling over him repeatedly with a lawnmower. Director Rob Reiner was afraid that the audience would laugh at it.
Old 02-26-10, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Watched if for the first time in a while tonight, and it is basically everything i remeber it being. That being a good movie, with some great performences. The casting of Kathy Bates was genius, as she played the role perfect. I mean at times, you actually do feel a little bad for her, being so obsessed and all. Cann does well too, making you see a helpless man who can barely fight back vs a woman. Def. a classic movie IMO. 7/10
Old 02-27-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
That being a good movie, with some great performences.
Yeah, watched it for the first time tonight. The movie isn't the greatest thing ever but both Caan and Bates were terrific.

I never really felt bad for Wilks character. I just wanted her to die a really violent death.
Old 03-01-10, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had forgotten all about our horror club movie until just now. I fell behind in my Academy Awards challenge and was thinking of something fun to watch and remembered this one. Kathy Bates' Academy Award was well deserved. I'm glad that she's had some success besides this role.
Old 03-02-10, 08:52 AM

Kathy Bates definitely deserves the Academy Award and all the praise.

Also, I always appreciate films with minimal sets, i.e. Glengarry Glen Ross.
Old 03-02-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been busy but just rewatched this great film once again. I gotta say Caan doesn't get enough credit for this film. Sure Bates was awesome but Caan was just great. I love how they build the tension in the scene where he gets out and starts looking around the house.
Old 03-03-10, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Putting this first one as a spoiler since this pertains to a difference between the novel/film:
Spoiler:
In Stephen King's novel "Misery", Annie cuts off Paul's foot to prevent him from escaping. Screenwriter William Goldman has stated that the reason he decided to adapt the book to film was because of this gruesome scene and the effect it would have on the audience. However, Rob Reiner and Andrew Scheinman's script revision changed the method of torture to Paul getting his ankles broken with a sledgehammer. Goldman was opposed to the change until viewing the film.
I was disappointed at that change as well, and to be honest, it's one of the reasons I waited so long to see this film. That scene in the book is so grueling I couldn't imagine the story without it. I thought it would be too watered down. then I saw the movie, and holy hell that scene is disturbing. They totally pulled it off. I didn't even miss the original scene, which I never thought possible. I'm getting a little more forgiving in my old age. I used to hate it when movie adaptations made changes to my favorite books, but now I can appreciate the differences as long as the movie is good.
Old 03-08-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember I was in junior high when this movie came out. I remember that because I specifically recall getting into a really big argument with a close friend of mine when Kathy Bates won for Best Actress. I was rooting for Bates all the way while my friend thought Julia Roberts should have won the Oscar. Uh, no.

I've always enjoyed this film -- and the book. I can't imagine another actress being able to do justice to that role. I guess that's the biggest testament to Bates' performance that you could give. But as Larry C. says, Caan also deserves a lot of credit. He's very effective and pretty much had to do it all from a bed. He might be overshadowed by Bates, but he still holds his own.
Old 03-09-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I rented the BD from Netflix the other night and watched this for the first time since it probably came out. I remember being a little disappointed in the film at the time because I had read the book and, as usual, the film is not as good as the book and I kinda held that against it. Fast forward until now and since I haven't read the book since that time, I really don't remember too much about it. Watching the movie on it's own merits made me really appreciate the film a lot more this time around. Both Bates and Caan are superb and there is the perfect mix of horror, humor and drama in this movie. The pacing is perfect and scenes can been unbelievably intense.

I loved it. I really could not find any fault with this movie. It's a shame the BD is completely void of anything extras-wise but the picture looked great.

My rating: ***** out of *****
Old 03-25-10, 10:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Weird. I could have sworn that I've never seen this film, but when I watched it last month I realized that I had seen it at some point. Either that or I'm a psychic.

Have never liked Bates much for some reason, but have to agree that she is perfect here. Great choice by the Academy.

Really feel sorry for Sheriff Buster. Nice to see Farnsworth get a good role though. I've neglected watching a few of his films for too long, and really need to get to The Straight Story. Everytime I see him in a film I wish I had met him.
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
The foot scene is still pretty tough to watch. It make you wonder what event in King's life caused him to imagine/write this book (some of his fans must be pretty whacked out).
I can't watch it without averting my eyes partially.
Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
I gotta say Caan doesn't get enough credit for this film. Sure Bates was awesome but Caan was just great. I love how they build the tension in the scene where he gets out and starts looking around the house.
Totally agree here. Wasn't expecting a whole lot out of Caan for some reason, but he does a fantastic job in this role.
Old 03-25-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

This was a film I watched several times when it first came out--partially because I enjoyed it, also because I would view it with different people just to focus on their reactions during the most memorable scene mentioned previously.