Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (March 8th) - Don't Look Now

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Don't Look Now (1973)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by mattressman.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Working with elements of the traditional horror genre – second sight, ESP, warnings from the dead, a mad killer – and cinematography of disquieting beauty with a dreamlike sense of dislocation, director Nicolas Roeg weaves a fabric of anxiety that questions all reality.
The evocative use of the back streets of Venice is a sinister participant in the action based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier.
This intensely erotic and macabre film boasts outstanding performances by Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland.

FUN FACTS: Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie met for the very first time on the set of this film. Their first scene together was the infamous sex scene.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Last edited by Chad; 05-02-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Horror Film Club (March 8th) - Don't Look Now

Love 99% of the movie, but have always HATED the ending. For whatever reason, it just ruined the movie for me.
Old 01-29-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (March 8th) - Don't Look Now

I expect there to be a lot of division with this selection. It seems that people either love it or hate it, with not much in between. I've always been a fan, though I will admit that my admiration for the film has grown more with subsequent viewings.
Old 01-30-10, 06:46 AM

I suppose I can understand why people don't like the ending of this movie, but I loved it. It bothered me so much that I lay awake thinking about it all night, and not very many movies do that to me (to date, only three movies ever have). This is one of those movies I only saw because it was on someone's "top 10 scariest movies of all time" list and I'd never heard of it before so I didn't expect much, but the movie held my interest right from the beginning. I liked the two main characters and felt horrible for them and wanted them to find some answers (or at least some kind of resolution to their pain). I think if I'd hated the two main characters, then the movie wouldn't have worked for me.
Old 01-30-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I expect there to be a lot of division with this selection. It seems that people either love it or hate it, with not much in between.
Hopefully this will bring out a decent discussion on why or why not this film is good.
Old 01-30-10, 08:33 AM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Of all the critiques I would expect, i.e., too slow, don't like characters, etc. I didn't see that few didn't like the ending? Why? Was it too unexpected, negative, or forcast? Curious.
Old 01-30-10, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JANK
Of all the critiques I would expect, i.e., too slow, don't like characters, etc. I didn't see that few didn't like the ending? Why? Was it too unexpected, negative, or forcast? Curious.
That's just it, I have no idea why I dont like the ending. I think I was just expecting... More you know? I dont know =)
Old 01-30-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I hated this movie when I tried to watch is a couple of years ago. Don't remember much other than I was bored to death. It probably didn't help that so many list it on their top horror films and/or scariest movie list. Maybe too much hype.

Is there another way to approach it where I might enjoy it a second time around? Should I look at it in a different way? Watching this reminded me of Rosemary's Baby which I always have found it to be an overrated bore as well.

I'm always willing to give a movie a second chance.
Old 01-30-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't seen it and I can't wait.
Old 01-31-10, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched this last night for the first time. This is one of those movies that you will have to watch multiple times to fully understand. I can see why some people don't like it. The pace is really slow. I definitely didn't see that ending coming.
Spoiler:
It reminded me of The Blair Witch Project's ending just a little.
Overall, a good selection!
Old 02-01-10, 06:44 PM

Perhaps that abrubtness of the ending is the issue. I remember when I first saw it I thought that it was leading up to his daughter "somehow" but it was a complete left field ending. Sutherland's reaction mirrors this perfectly. You can see his shock and disbelief.

Last edited by JANK; 02-01-10 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-07-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I agree, JANK. I think the abrupt ending turned a lot of people off, especially because it seemed to come from out of left field. It's hard for me to really place this in the horror genre because it's structured just so much different than a typical horror movie. But Roeg is such a master of atmosphere, and I thought he pulled out a couple of really great performances from Sutherland and Christie. For those who have just watched it for the first time, I would encourage you to return to it at a later date.
Old 02-07-10, 07:21 PM

Yeah this isn't really a 'horror' film. It's an 'atmospheric' film that sits well along with Wise's The Haunting and The Innocents with Deborah Kerr. Like the The Birds it is not really a horror film, it is Something Else.
Old 02-13-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I tried this movie again and made myself keep my finger off the fast forward button this time. I guess I just don't get it. It's dull as dishwater, the plot is uninteresting, and there is nothing even remotely scary or even eerie about this movie. 2 hours wasted in my opinion. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

My rating: *1/2 out of *****
Old 02-13-10, 03:19 AM

I absolutely love this movie. The overall look of the film, the performances are subtle and great and the editing is fantastic. The score is also one of my favorites.
I love the scene where the couple is making love and its split with them washing up and what-not. I cannot put into words how great I think this is.
Also, the whole atmosphere of the movie is so eerie. The intro scene at the pond is great, I love Sutherland's reaction. I love the slide "bleeding".
Watching this over, the ending somehow seems more intense, just because I know what's coming.

Anyway, I just can't say enough good things about this flick. It is a slow film, and I can see how it might not be some folks cup of tea but I just always find myself completely wrapped up in it every time I watch it. Same goes for Roeg's Walkabout and The Man Who Fell to Earth.
Old 02-13-10, 09:24 AM

So, the "negatives" of Don't Look Now are 1) slow-moving and the 2) abrupt ending. Both I concede. My family would never stand for this movie or it's type, i.e., The Haunting, L'Avventure, Solaris, 2001 etc etc.
I cherish these movies and they sit on my shelf a lot because they demand total involvement of the viewer, which due to life's distractions and time restraints, is a rare thing (at least for me right now).
The positives are the 'art' aspects of these films and how effective they are to the involved, commited viewer. They are the opposite of the well-done popcorn movies (which I also love) and a harder sell (arguably) as to their merits to most.
Situation: you have friends over; what are you going to suggest - Diehard or Bourne flicks vs. Lawrence of Arabia or Casablanca? Citizen Kane anyone? Usually a Jim Carrey film will win out in a group situation.
Old 02-13-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just find the story to be really weak. Yeah, Sutherland's acting is great and it is the high point of the film...but it was more the weak plot than the pace of the film. I can enjoy slow moving films but only if the story keeps me around. Good acting alone won't cut it.

So many people (here and elsewhere) who have stated that they find this movie scary is what really boggles my mind.
Old 02-13-10, 09:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll have to get this before the March 8th viewing timeline.
I like most of Donald Sutherland's movies so this will be an easy pick up for me,
just haven't done it yet. I did see the trailer on one of the threads and it looked pretty
much like a dated movie from the 70's ( I think it was the 70's )
Although I liked the Body Snatchers movie that he starred in back in 77 or 78.
But i'll give it a shot.
Old 03-02-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

So.. I saw this for the first time Sunday with my fiancee. In all honesty I was pretty bored as was she. The movie just doesn't do it for me. I don't like the editing, and the ending is terrible IMO. ( But in it's defense, it was ruined for me by seeinga clip on television) I do like how in the beginning he is the one telling her the daughter is dead, but at the end he is the one looking for her. Also the funeral vision was good as well. All in all, I understand why its a good movie. i just didn't like it. 6/10 and only for its actually technical aspects and not as a story
Old 03-03-10, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I do like how in the beginning he is the one telling her the daughter is dead, but at the end he is the one looking for her.
I think that's my favorite part of the movie, how he starts out as the skeptic and by the end of the movie he's totally ready to believe. That's what made the ending so sad for me.

With movies like this, I can see why people would hate the ending. Another movie I love is "Burnt Offerings," but I'll admit, when I first saw it, I hated it. I thought it was slow and boring and I wanted to stab all the characters myself...and then I got to the ending. It has an ending similar in tone to the ending of "Don't Look Now," and the ending impressed me enough to give the movie another chance. Upon repeated viewings, I appreciate the slow build even more, and the sadness of the story hits me, how this is essentially the story of a loving family who are slowly torn apart.

For me, that's what's scary about the ending of "Don't Look Now," I think. If I hadn't liked the characters, I wouldn't have cared about the ending and I might have even laughed or rolled my eyes because it IS absurd in a lot of ways. I think it's just so sad how this father is so obsessed by the end with finding the truth

Spoiler:
and to have everything turn out to be a lie, to have his belief shattered, and then to have him die so horribly, that's what stuck with me.
Old 03-31-10, 02:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere, and acting that drew me into the story well, making me feel as if it was real, or that I was there with them. Loved the ending as well. A rental, but I'll pick it up if I ever see it for a good price.
Old 03-31-10, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

One of my all-time favorites...great film...loved the ending.