Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Saturn Drive-In: Velvet Trap & Hot Summer on the Campus'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Saturn Drive-In: Velvet Trap & Hot Summer on the Campus at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=39530 and...
I understand you don't give points for screener discs, but could you at least tell us a little about the video quality of what you saw? These Saturn discs have been notoriously bad in the video department. Non-anamorphic? Tape sourced?
Old 12-05-09, 07:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Saturn Drive-In: Velvet Trap & Hot Summer on the Campus'

Yeah, I have to agree.

Your policy has some merits Bill, but at least give us what you can.

The chances of us going back to see if you edit your review or reading a different review are pretty low, so tell us all you can, with the disclaimer that it's a screener and may end up being competely different.
Old 12-05-09, 12:59 PM
Defunct Account

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Saturn Drive-In: Velvet Trap & Hot Summer on the Campus'

Any data he gave could be totally worthless. Some screener discs are drastically different from the final product. If he received a non-anamorphic disc that doesn't mean the final retail version would be non-anamorphic. I've seen test discs that look like crap while the retail version looks fine.
Old 12-05-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What John said...

I have been burned too many times in the past (and this is my seventh year writing reviews online) to deal with this.

I understand your need for ANY info, but what if I was to tell you that the disc I received was NOT called Saturn Drive-In, but instead, SEPTIC CINEMA. What if I told you the menu screen was bare bones and the movies played without chapters? Would that really help?

On the brighter side, I can confirm the films look decent. But then again, I cannot give you a single valid tech spec. A check disc RARELY offers final product. Thus, the policy.

BILL
Old 12-07-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, that's a shame. I'd really like to see these movies based on your review, but no sale until I know AV info. I like filth, but I don't want the presentation to be filthy.
Old 12-31-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have this disc, and both films are 16x9 anamorphic, and Velvet Trap, to me, looked very clean and sharp, Hot Night on Campus the print used has some rough spot, but again, black level are nice on both. And yes, the sleeve says Saturn Drive-In, while the menu says Septic Cinema for some odd reason.
Old 01-06-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Salamander.

Here's another review:
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t...apnights67.htm