Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Are DVD reviewers using Blu Ray players or DVD players to review DVDs nowadays?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-17-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming that a DVD will look better on a Blu Ray player, but are most DVD critics reviewing DVDs on their Blu Ray players now? If a DVD gets a Video score of 4 out of 5 stars on a Blu Ray player, does this technically mean it's like a 3.5 out of 5 stars on a DVD player?

Since the word on the street is that most DVDs will look better played on a Blu Ray player than on a DVD player, then how am I supposed to interpret DVD reviews nowadays? Is this even something to be concerned about?

I ask because I do plan to buy a multi-region Blu Ray player just to update my old multi-region DVD player, but I'm hoping to get satisfaction from watching my current collection of DVDs on a Blu Ray player so that I don't have to replace all my current favorite DVDs with Blu Ray.

For the people that have bought a Blu Ray player, has anyone been impressed with the video quality just from watching one of your DVDs on that in which you don't feel the need to upgrade to the Blu Ray version instantly?

For example, let's look at THE FALL. Is this an accurate reaction of the different video qualities?
THE FALL DVD: DVD player: video quality is very good.
THE FALL DVD: Blu Ray player: video quality is extremely good.
THE FALL Blu Ray: Blu Ray player: video quality is perfect.

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-17-09 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Are DVD reviewers using Blu Ray players or DVD players to review DVDs nowadays?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I'm assuming
There's your first mistake.

DVDs may or may not look better when viewed on a Blu-ray player. It depends on how good a job the player does with upscaling, etc.
Old 11-18-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Are DVD reviewers using Blu Ray players or DVD players to review DVDs nowadays?

You know DVD players upscale as well, right?
Old 11-18-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I review SD titles viewed my BD player.

But as has been pointed out, "regular" DVD players upscale, as well; and it also depends on what type of television you have.

Most review sites will list the type of equipment the reviewer uses so you can compare or estimate your potential experience based on what your setup is vs the reviewer.
Old 11-18-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,270 Posts

^ click the reviewer's name to check the profile. gear should be listed there.
Old 11-19-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting harder recently to find a dvd review period (at least for some Summer blockbusters). No reviews here yet for UP, Star Trek or Transformers 2. Blu ray reviews are everywhere but dvd reviews are not near as plentiful as they used to be. Perhaps the studios are only sending blu rays to be reviewed.
Old 11-19-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
Getting harder recently to find a dvd review period (at least for some Summer blockbusters). No reviews here yet for UP, Star Trek or Transformers 2. Blu ray reviews are everywhere but dvd reviews are not near as plentiful as they used to be. Perhaps the studios are only sending blu rays to be reviewed.
Yep.