Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-27-09, 02:14 PM
Banned Shill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Walker's DVD review of Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=40344 and...I couldn't disagree more. Clearly you were spot on for the beginning as it was a great lead in, and yes it was a bunch of kids partying, but the whole middle is a ton of witty banter and gratuitous sex. In fact that's pretty much all the middle is until all the great kill scenes. I've seen Blood Night at 2 different horror conventions and at both screenings the crowd was laughing up a storm during the middle parts. Maybe you need to watch this again. It clearly deserves way more then 1 star in this fans eyes. Really good sex scenes, great kills, witty humor and for an independent horror film I was quite impressed.
Old 11-03-09, 03:42 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet'

What conventions were these, if you don't mind me asking? I've been to a bunch of horror-cons these past couple of years and never came across a full screening (granted, there are many I haven't attended). What I did see at cons like Monstermania was a big cadillac promo booth in the celebrity room with press materials.

For the record, Dave Walker's review is spot on. Blood Night is HOWLINGLY BAD. The first (weak) 15 mins only look good when compared to the rest of the film, which consists of some of the dullest, most cliche scenes you will see in a horror film (or any other film, for that matter).

The "witty banter" consists of some of the lamest, most braindead conversation to offend my ears in a long while. It's a pathetic copy of better scenes in better films. The filmmakers have ZERO understanding of how to make a scene work. Sequence after sequence just sit there.

The "gore" is mostly inserts. Creative kills? Name one! There isn't a single innovative set-piece in the film's 85 minute (felt like 185) running time. About the only area in which I disagree with Walker's assessment is his statement about the visual style "working". If by that he means the film has about 15 nice shots interspersed amongst hundreds of the most elementary and ineffective camera choices in the director cannon, then I stand corrected.

The filmmakers have NO SENSE of pacing, creating tension, or directing actors. Just how to assemble scene after laborious scene of performances that embarrass some of the established names involved. Bill Moseley should consider hiring a new manager. He's saddled with some of the lamest material of his career.

All the press in the world can't make up for weak filmmaking. Blood Night is a piece of undistributeable junk. It's no wonder it sat on the shelf for two years.

Last edited by Filmbuff08; 11-11-09 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 04:55 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

It must be bad if one of the principals of the production company has to come here to shill for the movie.

Outside of his role in CPX Interactive, Seiman is also a principal of an indie movie production house, Chaos2, which has recently completed its first feature length project, the retro-style ‘slasher flick,’ Bloodnight: The Legend of Mary Hatchet.

http://www.cpxadnetworkblog.com/2009...e-mike-seiman/
Old 11-03-09, 06:24 PM

You've got someone with zero posts going up against someone with one post. I don't know who to believe!
Old 11-03-09, 06:38 PM

I saw the trailer and publicity at Monstermania, and figured I'd give it a shot. I'm also a huge Bill Moseley fan. All I can tell you is that Blood Night is about as much fun as a hatchet to the head. We're all free to make up our own minds, but being that the film is not on netflix, my review could save you fifteen bucks.

PS I just joined this forum today. Blood Night is the last dvd I watched, so it bears the distinction of being the subject of my first post.
Old 11-03-09, 06:44 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chas Speed
You've got someone with zero posts going up against someone with one post. I don't know who to believe!
Believe the one who isn't a banned shill.
Old 11-03-09, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by X
Haha. Indeed. I go out of my way to have an open mind about movies. Most of my imdb comments are positive. But a bad movie - especially one that is hyped to the teeth - warrants a response. Especially when the producers attempt to sway public opinion by posing as casual fans on message boards (btw, the same dude posted a positive review on the film's amazon page... under his real name!)
Old 11-03-09, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by X
This is the only time I can remember on any website when someone was actually proved to be a plant.
Old 11-03-09, 09:41 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chas Speed
This is the only time I can remember on any website when someone was actually proved to be a plant.
Oh, we do it all the time here. We usually remove their posts so you don't see them but a new member calling one out was too good to have just disappear.
Old 11-03-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts

'banned shill' - best label ever
Old 08-02-10, 09:07 PM

dvd release on aug 3rd??? a few sites like videoeta and myvideostore says dvd is out aug 3rd but heard no info